4 chicks ready to move outside

mararva

Songster
Premium Feather Member
May 20, 2020
My chicks are almost 5 weeks old and seem ready to join my 3 hens outside. They have been seeing each other for about an hour each day, but haven't been together. Should I introduce them in the run or in the coop? I know they will need hiding spaces and separate food/water, but what else should I do to make the transition easier?

Attachments

• 20220706_091446.jpg
    20220706_091446.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 24
If they were free ranging you could probably get away with just turning them loose but it doesn't sound like you free range. The tighter the space the less likely this is to work. Also, if you do that, you have no idea where they will want to sleep at night.

I don't know what your coop or run look like or how big they are. All I can do is assume. My generic suggestion without specific knowledge is to have a pen out there that is predator safe, can be in the coop or run. (I prefer coop so they will be a lot more likely to return to the coop to sleep when you do turn them loose.) Let them get used to each other for at least a week before you turn them loose to mingle and they learn where to go to to sleep. This doesn't always work but it often does.

Sometimes it is as easy as turning them loose (especially with lots of room), but it can also be a disaster. So when you do let them mingle it's good to be there to see what happens.

Is there a way you can separate them eith the coop and run, meaning a 24/7 look but don’t touch?
I have a 7 foot chickenwire "playpen" I use for the chicks to explore outside. The older hens free-range for about 2 hours each evening. I have a small wire cage that I put inside the run during the day, but I'm not sure how I would keep them apart at night unless I move the cage into the coop?

Attachments

• 20220706_100213.jpg
    20220706_100213.jpg
    912.5 KB · Views: 11
Sorry, I mean to say that I have the small cage option available, but I haven't tried it yet.

The coop only has 2 windows for ventelation plus the run opening. I feel like it would be too dark for the chicks, if they were there for 24 hours. Also the hens only go in there to sleep or lay eggs.

My chicks are almost 5 weeks old and seem ready to join my 3 hens outside. They have been seeing each other for about an hour each day, but haven't been together. Should I introduce them in the run or in the coop? I know they will need hiding spaces and separate food/water, but what else should I do to make the transition easier?
Just take your time and let them get used to each other. It may take a few weeks but they will soon be one big happy family

The coop only has 2 windows for ventelation plus the run opening. I feel like it would be too dark for the chicks, if they were there for 24 hours.
I don't know how dark it really is in there. They need enough light to eat and drink, no more. It's not like they are going to be in there forever. My coop only has one window and it is on the north side, mine have plenty of light. But your coop is different from mine so I don't know how dark it really is.

If it is predator safe leave it in the run.

the hens only go in there to sleep or lay eggs.
Would be enough.

I have a 7 foot chickenwire "playpen" I use for the chicks to explore outside. The older hens free-range for about 2 hours each evening. I have a small wire cage that I put inside the run during the day, but I'm not sure how I would keep them apart at night unless I move the cage into the coop?
if you can supervise the chicks allow them to free range with the older hens but have clutter where they can escape if needed.
My aggressors stopped once they were allowed to free range together in an open area. They weren’t new chicks tho so that may change for me.
I’m sure in time they will all find their place

Lots of feeding and watering stations once they start sharing the same space, but they don’t need separate kinds of feed. Lots of people freak out about hens eating the chick starter or chicks eating the layer feed and keeping feeds separate. You don’t need that juggling act. Feed everybody flock raiser (which is meant for all ages), and provide calcium on the side for the layers (crushed eggshell or oyster shell). That’s the best way to feed a mixed flock (or any flock really).

Back
Top Bottom