4 day old chicks with eyes closed

Lmfrance

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 17, 2013
3 days ago I received my first chicks! Have adult chickens for awhile now, but this is my first time with chicks. Everyone has seemed in perfect health since I got them. All are eating, drinking and are very active. However, some have one eye closed and one had both eyes closed for about a day. This seems to come and go, as it's different chicks, and different eyes every time I check. Could this be from them pecking at one another? Should I be concerned they may be sick, even tho they otherwise appear healthy? Any info or tips is greatly appreciated!!!

Do they look swelled up? If so, it may be a respiratory problem. You may also want to check for pasty butt. Also, clean their pen often, because ammonia build up can cause eye problems.
But, as long as they are eating, drinking and walking around, they should be ok. If you start seeing bloody spots on face, it would be pecking.

We have a similar (if not the same) problem. We bought 10 chicks two days ago, and on was weak from the get go. We have had her in a box, with food & water in there, as well. Over tonight, we are keeping her inside, mainly because the low tonight is 69. The box is also sitting on a heating pad, set on low. It seems to be the similar, as she has gone in & out of opening her eyes and moving her head around. I will be getting some vitamins tomorrow and a brooding lamp as well.

Just wondering...do you happen to be in or around navarro county (tx)?

Last edited:
I'm actually in the Catskills area of upstate New York. Temps have been mild here, and I've had a heat lamp keeping them around 95-100 degrees. They seem comfortable. No one is weak, all seem to be doing really well otherwise, which is why I'm hesitant to believe they are sick. I think they've all doubled in size since I got them! I also have them on medicated chick starter, tho I'm not sure if that only covers coccidiosis. I will check their butts this morning, and freshen their bedding tonight. They are in a fairly big brooder tho, so airflow should be good. I did notice one chick being a bit of a bully from the start, and I've seen active eye pecking, which is why I thought that first. I might just be over worrying since it's my first time, but these lil ladies are too cute to have problems!!!

We lost her, but it wasn't a surprise. We'll miss her, of course, but into continuation of the coop, and we'll post pictures of it when we're through (hopefully by this weekend).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom