4 day old dog bite wound care

Poop pictureView attachment 2486874
Oh yes! I saw the one of the wound, I meant the poop :D
Likely the runny poop is from drinking a lot, I would make sure her crop is emptying overnight just to be sure.
Sounds like she's getting lots of love and attention:)
here is today’s poop
8DDEBB52-68A0-4972-A775-98F349ABE31E.jpeg

And here is what her boo boo looks like
05734FEC-639A-41AC-B421-F65FF6C176EC.jpeg

She's looking very alert and the wound looks really clean now! You're doing great. Crazy how you can already see the feather shafts regrowing in the wound. Chickens are very resilient. 😁
Thanks so much for the encouragement 🥰
I've had 7 chickens attacked by dogs that got into my backyard and she's the only one that has lived.

Does she have grit available?
The poop is not too bad, but those small chunks are a bit unusual looking.

OK, let's use her as an example - the crop is on the right side of the breast (red circle). It's like an elastic pouch that fills up as a chicken eats/drinks. The size of it can fluctuate during the day (they eat/drink/poop/eat some more...) so feeling of it during the day is not the best to gauge function. Chickens normally go to bed with a "full" crop - you should be able to run your hand down her right breast and feel a lump or fullness there. It won't hurt her to feel it at all so don't worry about that. As a chicken sleeps, what they have in the crop is processed/digested and the crop should feel empty in the morning before they have had anything to eat drink. Practice on her and the others - not every bird's crop is going to feel exactly the same at roosting time. Some may be really full, while others are harder to find. Once you become familiar what is "normal" for each girl it's easier to know when something is not working properly. Does any of that make sense?

Wound looks good.
1610510881612.png

Thanks so much for the encouragement 🥰
I've had 7 chickens attacked by dogs that got into my backyard and she's the only one that has lived.
That's ashame 😥. I had a chicken get mauled by a dog like this many many years ago. She was missing the entirety of her back down to the bone. You could see inside. I thought for sure she would die but gave her a chance because she was so alert and active. She healed all the way and feathers grew back over and you'd never know what happened. Some are just stronger then others and really want to live! Plus, attentive care helps a lot.

Just wanted to update everyone -
Jocelyn is doing great. I've stopped messing with the wound and it seems to be healing fine.
She doesn't want to leave the coop yet and I'm okay with that.
View attachment 2492572
Thank you, everyone, for your advice and encouragement .
Looking good! Thank you for the update:)

Back
Top Bottom