4 day old mallard?????'s help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ro.netcmarie, Mar 31, 2009.

1. ro.netcmarie

ro.netcmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    can anybody out there tell me how you put your baby duckies "down for the night"????? just gave mine a good "bath" swim after they ate. now they are back in the "bed" preening their fluff. is it ok to leave them without food or water all night, or should they have atleast have the water for the night???

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. hoosiergal40

hoosiergal40 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    I keep water and feed out for my ducklings at all times. They are now 3 weeks old.
    They seem to be doing fine. Growing like weeds.
    How old are your ducklings? If they are really young I would be concerned that they might eat their bedding material when they got hungry, if there is no feed out for them.

3. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ducks are active through the night, my ducklings always seemed to eat more of a night than the daytime. Even now as full grown they move around all night, they sleep when they are tired even in the daytime.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    I pulled the water at night. They would soak themselves and the bedding otherwise. They are growing well too. I was just worried about them getting chilled (even under the heat lamp)
    If you leave the water, make sure they have enough of a dry area to lay down..
    I love ducks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by