4 days old ducklings suddenly not eating, but drinking abnormally a lot.. bloated tummy

Mar 31, 2020
United Kingdom
Can anyone help, please? My ducklings are 4 days old. Their first food was duckling grub (which was the next morning after hatching) and they ate it well, drank well too. A day later I have offered them also a boiled egg, which they liked and just a few crushed grains of some seeds (from my seed mix, which had sesame, linseed, pumpkin and sunflower seed) and they appeared fine after that too. Today was a lovely weather and so we took them for 15min outside on the grass. They loved it. Tried pecking different things. I have seen some of them peck a few ants and one or two of them had a found a baby woodlouse. We have also cut a smaller earthworm for them to share a small piece each. It is hard to know if and what leaves they might have pecked. This was in the afternoon. Now, in the evening, they seem different. Asking for something, but not touching the food (standard duckling grub), however, they drink abnormally a lot. I feel that their tummies might be a bit bloated. It was probably a mistake to introduce so many things so quickly. Despite of all the good intention, I am worried I might have hurt them. What can I do to help? Could I offer some digestive crushed fennel seeds to help with their bloating? I would very much appreciate you help.
Oh, and not to forget… they obviously have some sand in their brooder box.. sometimes it may get mixed in their food a bit.

Many thanks!

Any thing you feed them except their starter they need chick grit to process it. And you really have over loaded them with way too much too soon all they need right now is their starter and water. Put some chick grit in a small bowl close to their feed they will use it as needed.

Back
Top Bottom