4 died

ameraucanacrazy

Songster
10 Years
Feb 11, 2009
macon,ga
i have had about 46 ameraucanas and barred rocks and it was time to let them out in to the pen and i came home from shool this day and two where died so i thought that they had drown in teh pudlle that they where laying in died but to night i came out and they where asleep all of them where. i then saw a pair of feet sticking outfrom under them and i found out that teh babies whould get under each other and suffukat each uther but i tried to get them off and they just did the same thing what can i do to make them stop

Sounds like maybe they got cold and tried to snuggle -- this can be dangerous to the ones in the middle if the pile gets too unruly. Are they old enough to be without a light, and outside without human supervision?

They will pile on top of each other to try to get warm if they are too cold, and the ones on the bottom can easily suffocate. This is often how shipping deaths happen.

Are you saying there is a puddle in their coop or run? If they are in their first weeks, they should not have access to a puddle.

Back
Top Bottom