4 drakes and 1 duck! help!

Duck mommy 2019

Crowing
Apr 1, 2019
ok so i have 3 older drakes who are staying with a friend for awhile, but when i get them back i am building them their own pen (and i’ll only take two back, the other will be a companion for my friends only drake)

but now i have another duck (female) and two babies who i have a feeling are male. if so, how long can i keep them with her? i wouldn’t be able to put them with the older drakes because of fighting, and i don’t want to keep two mature drakes with a duck.

so what age would i have rehome them? i would keep my girl and my older drakes, them next year i want to get some call ducks and put them in with her (2-3 call ducks and a call drake, maybe a trio of geese as well) would that work? can i keep her with my older drakes during the winter? is there anyway possible i can keep 4 drakes (and get them to like each other?) with only one duck? i don’t want to rehome any of them and i can’t get more ducks this year (i could possibly rehome my youngest two drakes, but my older two and my girl are literally my babies and i already told my parents i won’t get rid of any of them)

@Isaac 0 @Miss Lydia @DuckyDonna @MGG @WVduckchick
Tagging just a few members that are super knowledgeable and helpful, especially with duck questions. Best wishes with your flock.
AS for my experience, I have one duck with 2 drakes and they seem to do well together. I only chose to do this because I had a lot of trouble sending them to a new home. I realized that one of the drakes was imprinted on the other Drake and the other was extremely loyal to the duck. I keep a very close eye on her to watch for overmating. The 3 of them free range, on her command, on the pond all day. I have another pair of Pekins and anytime they're nearby, it seems to throw the entire dimensions into havoc and hysteria.

@Isaac 0 @Miss Lydia @DuckyDonna @MGG @WVduckchick
Tagging just a few members that are super knowledgeable and helpful, especially with duck questions. Best wishes with your flock.
AS for my experience, I have one duck with 2 drakes and they seem to do well together. I only chose to do this because I had a lot of trouble sending them to a new home. I realized that one of the drakes was imprinted on the other Drake and the other was extremely loyal to the duck. I keep a very close eye on her to watch for overmating. The 3 of them free range, on her command, on the pond all day. I have another pair of Pekins and anytime they're nearby, it seems to throw the entire dimensions into havoc and hysteria.
both the boys that would be with her (atleast i’m pretty sure they are boys) are imprinted to her

ok so i have 3 older drakes who are staying with a friend for awhile, but when i get them back i am building them their own pen (and i’ll only take two back, the other will be a companion for my friends only drake)

but now i have another duck (female) and two babies who i have a feeling are male. if so, how long can i keep them with her? i wouldn’t be able to put them with the older drakes because of fighting, and i don’t want to keep two mature drakes with a duck.

so what age would i have rehome them? i would keep my girl and my older drakes, them next year i want to get some call ducks and put them in with her (2-3 call ducks and a call drake, maybe a trio of geese as well) would that work? can i keep her with my older drakes during the winter? is there anyway possible i can keep 4 drakes (and get them to like each other?) with only one duck? i don’t want to rehome any of them and i can’t get more ducks this year (i could possibly rehome my youngest two drakes, but my older two and my girl are literally my babies and i already told my parents i won’t get rid of any of them)
What breed are they? How old are the babies? You should be able to voice sex them around 8-9 weeks. Girls quack, males don't. I'd keep them with her (if they are indeed both drakes) for until you know genders. Then if any are drakes I would rehome them. She should be ok with calls and geese, but keep an eye on the calls, they usually get picked on a lot. I would only have 1 hen per 1 drake. If you do more than that they could very well kill your hen before you would notice. I've heard of people keeping a "bachelor pad" of all roos or all drakes. It seems to work fine for them. Just watch for aggression. I would never keep 4 drakes and one hen. That's a recipe for disaster. Fingers crossed you have at least one female duckling.

What breed are they? How old are the babies? You should be able to voice sex them around 8-9 weeks. Girls quack, males don't. I'd keep them with her (if they are indeed both drakes) for until you know genders. Then if any are drakes I would rehome them. She should be ok with calls and geese, but keep an eye on the calls, they usually get picked on a lot. I would only have 1 hen per 1 drake. If you do more than that they could very well kill your hen before you would notice. I've heard of people keeping a "bachelor pad" of all roos or all drakes. It seems to work fine for them. Just watch for aggression. I would never keep 4 drakes and one hen. That's a recipe for disaster. Fingers crossed you have at least one female duckling.
the adult girl is a khaki, the babies are rouen and khaki. they are 3.5 weeks old. the other 2 adult drakes will have their own pen with just each other

and could i keep a male geese in with her and the calls if i have two females for him?

and could i keep a male geese in with her and the calls if i have two females for him?
If you do geese, pairs are best. Otherwise one hen will always be left out. The gander will have a favorite goose and ignore the other. So do pairs. If the goose and gander are bonded it would probably be fine to pen them together. I've never tried it though.

If you do geese, pairs are best. Otherwise one hen will always be left out. The gander will have a favorite goose and ignore the other. So do pairs. If the goose and gander are bonded it would probably be fine to pen them together. I've never tried it though.

Why are you wanting geese when not long ago your parents were wanting you to give away your ducks then you went an got more ducks and now your ratio is off still? Geese cannot be kept in a pen with other birds during their mating season which lasts close to 6 months of the year. They will injure and I’ve even seen where they will kill ducks or other poultry they are penned with.

Why are you wanting geese when not long ago your parents were wanting you to give away your ducks then you went an got more ducks and now your ratio is off still? Geese cannot be kept in a pen with other birds during their mating season which lasts close to 6 months of the year. They will injure and I’ve even seen where they will kill ducks or other poultry they are penned with.
i’ve seen people have a bunch of different kinds of birds, and i have a seperate pen for my two big drakes so my ratio is honestly fine

Back
Top Bottom