4-H Duck Project

chicken_boy_Kurt

Songster
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
My 4-H club's members used to own 99% chickens, with 1% ducks. Well, a lot of our members are now becoming interested in ducks. So I mentioned the idea of starting a market duck project to my club leader. She said it was a great idea and, as the VP, she wants me to head it off. Wonderful. So I have two ideas in mind. I need a place to obtain project books, though. Does anyone know where I could get these? Also, what do you think of my ideas? I'll talk about the one I'm favoring less first.

Campbell Duck Egg Project.
The kids will raise Campbells to sexual maturity, so they're laying by the time of the fair. They will enter either one, a pair, or a trio, depending on a lot of factors (the number will be determined at the beginning of the project, though). The hens will be judged on their production qualities and, if it is decided that the kids will enter a pair or trio, they will be judged also on conformity of body and production qualities. Hopefully we will be able to sell the grand and reserve champion pens in the auction, but that is why I don't like this idea as much; either we won't be able to sell them in the auction at all, or we will, but no one will want to buy ducks for egg laying. (Chickens are really popular in our area; ducks, not so much.)
I do believe the kids will want to do this project more, though...

Muscovy Meat Duck Project.
Kids will raise scovies to market age and enter a determined number (probably only one or two) at the fair. All the birds entered will be either hens or drakes (meaning there will be only one sex entered, not hens and drakes). Judged on production alone if individual birds are entered, on production and conformity of production qualities if pairs are decided. I think it will be as difficult to get into the auction with this project, but much easier to actually sell the product.

What do you think? I really just need the project books at this point, because there's a great hatchery that sells Campbells and Scovies about fifteen minutes from my house, so I could pick up the ducklings and bring them to the date we distribute them.

Last edited:
I'm not terribly fond of this book myself, but it might prove useful to you...
- Storey's guide to raising ducks

You can find it on the Backyard Poultry, on Storey's website, and I think on amazon.

As for the ideas, they sound good.
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you. I think the raising part will be easy enough to explain, as I have enough experience. When I say project book, I mean a book for the kids to work in and write progress and things like that.

Hi Chicken Boy,

I don't know how things work in your 4-H program, but at my county fair, all meat-pens MUST go go auction. It's considered to be part of the learning process for 4-H'ers and FFA members.

As far as an egg production class, I think it might work similarly to a dairy production class, and should not require selling your livestock. Your first step is to speak with your local 4-H Extension agent, and ask her to research curriculum in other counties or states. Then, with the agreement of your 4-H Agent and your 4-H leader, contact the Poultry Show chairperson, and speak to them about adding a production class.

Good Luck,

Tahai

Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they'd have to, so I'm not sure if we could even do the project. I don't really know how all of it works...

Quote:
Thank you. I think the raising part will be easy enough to explain, as I have enough experience. When I say project book, I mean a book for the kids to work in and write progress and things like that.

Couldn't you just use a blank writing book?

Quote:

Couldn't you just use a blank writing book?

I'm not sure, as I said, I don't know how these things work. But I'm pretty sure there needs to be specific things in the project book.

Would I be able to just make up a project book and put all the information and spaces to write and what to write in it???

Back
Top Bottom