4-H Showing

For showing in 4-H, I always recommend starting out by contacting your county's Extension Office to find out what requirements your county has for showing. The reason I suggest this is that in some counties you can show mixed breed birds, while in other counties your birds must be of a breed and color accepted by the APA or ABA organizations. Some counties will also be able to provide guides on what to study for skillathon and showmanship.

After you find out the requirements for your county then you should look around and find a breed you like. I see that you are in Ohio, but not sure where you are located. This weekend is the Ohio National Poultry Show in Columbus. This would be a great opportunity to walk around and see a wide variety of breeds and colors to determine what you like. Also, while there you can talk to some of the breeders and ask about temperament of the breeds. Typically, there are birds for sale there, or you can get contact information of breeders to contact later. If you are interested in going to this, more information can be found at http://ohionational.org

Roger
Awesome!! Thanks :D

Back
Top Bottom