4 Hens killed, help identify the predator

NotNHChicken

Chirping
Sep 14, 2020
Epping, NH
Looking for help to determine how our chickens were killed.

We live in NH. Very cold the past 24 hours - below freezing. Our chickens stay in a coop or run (completely covered in wire) during the winter.

No sign of struggle except some feather loss. No obvious entry. Quick inspect shows coop and run intact.

All 4 chickens killed during the last night - 2 missing heads. 3 of 4 were piled into a corner of the run (or died there?).

We are very upset about this and have tried very hard to provide a predator free environment (no electric fence yet). We are try to figure out what happened so we can protect any future flock.

What other information can we provide or gather information to better identify how this happened.

From reading other threads, we are seeing others struggle with this too. Very sad.

Okay.
There were four chickens in your flock , and all died? Or four of your chickens died in your flock of X ?
How many of the chickens in the pile had their heads missing?
Where was the other chicken who was not piled in the corner? Did they have their head on or off?
Were there any tracks by your house or the coop? At about what time did this happen?
Did you hear any squawking going on?
Did any of the chickens have any blood on them?

Following Shabby chic-hens post if the heads were missing I can't remember is it weasel, mink, something in that family that just eats the heads? and if memory serves they kill for the sake of killing.

Okay.
There were four chickens in your flock , and all died? Or four of your chickens died in your flock of X ?
How many of the chickens in the pile had their heads missing?
Where was the other chicken who was not piled in the corner? Did they have their head on or off?
Were there any tracks by your house or the coop? At about what time did this happen?
Did you hear any squawking going on?
Did any of the chickens have any blood on them?

Good questions.

4 of 4 died. All chickens in the run. 2 of 3 in the pile heads were missing. The other chicken (head on) was behind a wooden box (trying to hide?).

Good idea to look for tracks. We have other animals (pets) so will check on that tomorrow.

As best as we can determine between 6pm (dark) and 6am (light) and when we usually feed them.

Yes, they had blood on them. I think all four but I will double check tomorrow.

We didn't hear any adnormal squawking and honestly could have been sleeping. The coop is pretty far away from the house.

We have fisher (cats) here in NH and that is my best guess at this point. If so still unsure of the entry.

We are willing to gather more information and will from some of your questions.

Back
Top Bottom