4 hours and no progress

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lorrie77, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Lorrie77

Lorrie77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    This is my first time incubating eggs and I have just 1 egg that pipped at about 4:30 today.
    About an hour later there was a much bigger crack but nothing since then. Is this normal
    or is something wrong? My humidity has been at 65-70% for 3 days but just recently dropped
    to 63% I am not sure if I should open the bator to add water or leave it alone. Anyone who
    can help it would be much appreciated [​IMG]

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    [​IMG] SIT ON YOUR HANDS!!

Do not open the bator. Do not do it. Expect to wake up to a chick, probably not sooner. Some are really quick, others are slower. In my experience the first is always the slowest. Sometimes it can pip the first, but fully hatch third or fourth. After a few start chirping, things move along faster.

Do not open your bator!

3. Lorrie77

Lorrie77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Thanks for the advice, I am sitting on my hands [​IMG]
    I cant wait, forget sleeping [​IMG]

4. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    i just had chicks that took about 24 hours to finish hatching after they'd pipped. everything was fine.

calm down. don't freak. just enjoy the show - - have your camera ready!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Ditto...

6. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Anything??

[​IMG]

7. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    As my husband says "back away from the bator".....I know it's hard, I'm going through temptation to open that door!

8. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Just finished our first hatch. First one pipped on the bottom, so we aren't sure when it happened, but the other two had pipped around noon yesterday. When I found that I should flip the bottom pip, we did so, and at 10pm last night, it hatched. The second one, that showed very little movement, hatched an hour later, with the first one basically molesting it the whole time in the bator. We gave up around midnight, 12:30 on the third one, who had pipped the earliest. I did, however, remove the two who had hatched, and at that point, raised the final egg to my ear, and heard slight chirping and pecking. So no intervention, and this was a total 13 hours after pip.

It hatched during the night, sometime between 2am and 6am.

So give it time...I was insane with worry and stress. Hopefully our 2nd hatch will let us be a little calmer, LOL!

9. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Four hours! Is that all? LOL! Any chick that pips and hatches inside 4 hours should be calling the Guinness book of records.
    Mine usually take a full day. Some take even longer. Usually they pip then do absolutely squat for at least 12 hours...

10. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Patience, Grasshopper!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by