4 little eggs, one being a duck....

Helenbee

Hatching
Apr 15, 2021
Hi everybody,
I posted just over a week ago about our first time incubating. We thought at the time we have 6 hen eggs and a duck (my youngest daughter found an abandoned egg when leaving the farm, so we put it in the incubator as well).
We are now on day 13 and 4 of the eggs are developing well, as far as we can see: 3 hens and the one mystery, probable duck... We are very much enjoying learning all about eggs- fascinating!

So now I realise the problem with this... in that the hens will hatch (if they hatch) 7 days earlier than the duck.

We also made a rooky mistake of slightly rinsing the duck egg, and now realising we removed the bloom, so it is further complicated...

What would you do? If we leave the duck in with the hens then there is a risk of the duck egg being compromised by bacteria when the hens hatch. Should we remove it before lockdown and put it in a makeshift incubator for a couple of days? Or could we protect it somehow?

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks so much for replying. Yes it is developing and seems to be in line with duck egg development from what I can gather from internet sources..!

Back
Top Bottom