4 mo old Olive Egger- Gender?

We were leaning towards cockerel because the neck feathers looked so pointy and there are 3 rows on the pea while the others were just one row.
We did have feather picking going on. I rehomed 3 of its brothers this past weekend because of it.
They hatched out the week of Halloween. So that would put them at 17.5 weeks old.
I will post more pics for y'all!
Thanks for the input!
Yeah, definitely need more photos for this one. Always try keep yourself on the same side as the STRONGEST light source for the best photos.

Based on what I see, I do want to say roo. Those secondary tail feathers have a serious downward curve to them, which is why I say that. But the saddle feathers are definitely missing, and I can't see the neck feathers clearly at all. So I can't even say if they are as pointy as they should be for a roo. And at that age, your females could be developing red to the combs, so I can't judge on that one unless you happen to have pictures of his female siblings.

Last edited:
I think its a female. I would this its comb and waddles would be larger.
yippiechickie.gif

I think its a female. I would this its comb and waddles would be larger.:yiipchick

Ameraucana and most EEs don't have WATTLES (not waddle like a duck :) ). This is why a lot of people have a hard time sexing them.

Editing to add that I'm thinking its a late developing male, the red feathers coming in on the shoulders is my reasoning without better pics.

Last edited:
The neck feathers are not usually as puffed up as they are in that second pic. The dog was "helping" me take pictures. But that's what it looked like startled. I thought it might be telling. Siblings are in the background.

So question here. Seeing as an Olive Egger (which is actually an EE and not a specific breed but a cross) is a hen that lays greenish blue eggs, so can a roo really be called an Olive Egger since they don't lay eggs? To clarify, can the genes for the olive egg color come from the roo? How I understand it is 1 parent carries a gene for dark brown egg color and the other carries a blue egg gene and the resulting female offspring from the pairing will lay olive colored eggs and can be called Olive Eggers. Would the roos and hens from that cross (first generation olive eggers) pass along a gene for olive egg color to their offspring Hope this doesn't sound too confusing..lol!

blue egg gene hen--- Olive Egger hen--
I -----Olive Egger offspring I---- olive egger offspring?
brown egg rooster--- Olive Egger roo?-- (or too watered down so
blue or brown egg gene is
lost resulting in either
brown or blue eggs but no
olive eggs?)
Guess what I am asking is does the olive egg color breed true if you cross 2 olive eggers or is that only a first generation trait? And can a roo from the initial pairing be called an Olive Egger?Or am i just totally confused about all of this? Rofl!

Last edited:
My guess is cockerel. I see red in his shoulders, his face is pretty bright for that age, his neck feathers are pretty pointy. He has a watchful stance.

My guess is cockerel.  I see red in his shoulders, his face is pretty bright for that age, his neck feathers are pretty pointy.  He has a watchful stance.

I feel like the red in the shoulders is a good indicator too. He/she has much less of it than the brother we just rehomed though. The bird in question actually has much less red than some of the clear hens. But with mixed breeds that's not a clear sign if anything.

Back
Top Bottom