4 mo Welsh Harlequin with Swollen Abdomen?

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Hi, there. Poor Marmalade looks a little low in the belly, am I right?

She is 4 mo and not yet laying. They get layer feed plus crushed egg shell free choice.

No other symptoms that I've noticed. I'll snag her out of the duckie house tonight and look more closely.

I have Baytril on hand.

Thoughts?

Sorry. Pic didn't load. Lemme try again:

20210618_193651.jpg

I was able to catch her. She feels a little water balloonish. I felt my Swedish and Saxony for comparison. The Swedish isn't balloonish at all. The Saxony is a little fuller bodied, so there was a little padding.

I will probably call a vet, but of course it's a Friday night. Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

I was able to catch her. She feels a little water balloonish. I felt my Swedish and Saxony for comparison. The Swedish isn't balloonish at all. The Saxony is a little fuller bodied, so there was a little padding.

I will probably call a vet, but of course it's a Friday night. Is there anything I can do in the meantime?
Oh, maybe that changes my answer then. I'm really bad at feeling the difference, but my vet can tell immediately. When my duck had ascites my vet drained it weekly using an ultrasound to guide her. In between drainings they didn't have me do anything at home even when I asked.

I think she looks like a normal reproductively active duck. You may have another layer soon. Since she isn't showing symptoms I wouldn't be concerned.

The abdominal inflammation can vary in your ducks, and still be normal.
OHMYGOD THANK YOU. I hope that's it. She just seems so young. Is 4 months normal? Figgy IS laying, and they are clearly sexually maturing (they are very frisky in the swimminsss pool).

I love little Marmalade, and I shudder to think....

When should I start to panic... I mean, start to be concerned?

Oh, maybe that changes my answer then. I'm really bad at feeling the difference, but my vet can tell immediately. When my duck had ascites my vet drained it weekly using an ultrasound to guide her. In between drainings they didn't have me do anything at home even when I asked.
Ok. I will call tomorrow. I found one that is open on Saturdays.

Better safe than sorry.

Another question: Did they ever figure out what was going on with your duckie? Did she have drainings continually, or did the water build up eventually stop?

Another question: Did they ever figure out what was going on with your duckie? Did she have drainings continually, or did the water build up eventually stop?
I still think the photo looks like my duck when she's about to lay an egg. While my other duck who lays has much smoother abdominal inflammation when she's about to lay. One of my ducks had an abdominal ultrasound a few months ago and the vets said she had a normal amount of abdominal fluid built up. *shrug* But safe is always good.

I wouldn't panic/be concerned unless you see other symptoms like lethargy/anorexia/diarrhea.

4 months does seem young. I wish I remembered exactly when my ducks started laying. I was surprised. They were very young. It seems like late summer/fall ducklings take a long time to lay and early spring ducklings start very early.

Regarding my sweet Clover, she had ascites for about 6-7 months and got drained weekly the whole time. Her entire abdomen was quite tight, like a very full balloon, and she had watery diarrhea. Despite extensive testing we couldn't figure out what was wrong and when she became uncomfortable we euthanized her at the vet in my lap. Her necropsy revealed that she had a type of inoperable reproductive cancer. She was about 3.5 years old.

I hope this doesn't scare you. I think it is very very unlikely to be the case with your little one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom