4 mo Welsh Harlequin with Swollen Abdomen?

I still think the photo looks like my duck when she's about to lay an egg. While my other duck who lays has much smoother abdominal inflammation when she's about to lay. One of my ducks had an abdominal ultrasound a few months ago and the vets said she had a normal amount of abdominal fluid built up. *shrug* But safe is always good.

I wouldn't panic/be concerned unless you see other symptoms like lethargy/anorexia/diarrhea.

4 months does seem young. I wish I remembered exactly when my ducks started laying. I was surprised. They were very young. It seems like late summer/fall ducklings take a long time to lay and early spring ducklings start very early.

Regarding my sweet Clover, she had ascites for about 6-7 months and got drained weekly the whole time. Her entire abdomen was quite tight, like a very full balloon, and she had watery diarrhea. Despite extensive testing we couldn't figure out what was wrong and when she became uncomfortable we euthanized her at the vet in my lap. Her necropsy revealed that she had a type of inoperable reproductive cancer. She was about 3.5 years old.

I hope this doesn't scare you. I think it is very very unlikely to be the case with your little one.
Doesn't scare me at all, actually. I know our feathered friends sometimes get sick for many reasons. I think it's amazing that you did so much for her, and I'm glad she passed in a peaceful way and with you. I had a chicken I was trying to save die while I was away, and it bothered me to no end that she died alone in an isolation crate. It still bothers me.

I'll let you know what the vet says. I hope you all are right that she's preparing to lay. I am so new to duckies. It will be good to get a vet's opinion. I have other questions I can ask, too, since I'll be paying for the time.

Thanks, @KaleIAm and @shawluvsbirds

It sounds a little early, but the smaller breeds can start laying a bit on the early side. 16-18 weeks would be young but not unheard of. My silver appleyards on the other hand waited close to 6 months, around 24 weeks or so, to start laying.

It sounds a little early, but the smaller breeds can start laying a bit on the early side. 16-18 weeks would be young but not unheard of. My silver appleyards on the other hand waited close to 6 months, around 24 weeks or so, to start laying.
My runner (same age as Marmalade) started laying a couple of weeks ago. I'd compare their abdomens, but runners are built so differently. It'd be like comparing a watermelon with a zucchini....

The soonest the duck vet is available is Friday. There are 2 other vets a couple of towns over who see duckies that aren't open until Monday. On the plus side, I found a duckie vet who is close.

Is there anything i should be doing while waiting?

My runner (same age as Marmalade) started laying a couple of weeks ago. I'd compare their abdomens, but runners are built so differently. It'd be like comparing a watermelon with a zucchini....

The soonest the duck vet is available is Friday. There are 2 other vets a couple of towns over who see duckies that aren't open until Monday. On the plus side, I found a duckie vet who is close.

If she's still acting normal, eating drinking and pooping fine I can't think of anything you'd need to do.

The only other likely problem I'm aware of would be distended abdomen which could be fat from eating an overly fatty food mixture or other problems that would all cause the mass to be firm to the touch (confirmed with holderreads "Raising Ducks" section on illness).
As others have said, unless there are other symptoms (difficulty walking, sluggishness, diarhea) I personally would wait a week before going to the vet and see if the shape changes or if you get an egg.
BUT you need to do what you are comfortable with! The last thing I want to do is give advice and then your duck passes away...I would feel terrible. So, if you feel a need to go to the vet, then go as soon as you are able. All I'm saying is that if it were my bird, I would wait and see.

The only other likely problem I'm aware of would be distended abdomen which could be fat from eating an overly fatty food mixture or other problems that would all cause the mass to be firm to the touch (confirmed with holderreads "Raising Ducks" section on illness).
As others have said, unless there are other symptoms (difficulty walking, sluggishness, diarhea) I personally would wait a week before going to the vet and see if the shape changes or if you get an egg.
BUT you need to do what you are comfortable with! The last thing I want to do is give advice and then your duck passes away...I would feel terrible. So, if you feel a need to go to the vet, then go as soon as you are able. All I'm saying is that if it were my bird, I would wait and see.
I may have to wait a week anyway because of vet availability.

I've been watching her for a couple of hours now. She seems normal. I really wish I had another bird to compare her to (besides my runner).

This waiting game sucks. But I'm sure y'all know that.

If she's still acting normal, eating drinking and pooping fine I can't think of anything you'd need to do.
x2

And look for an extra duck egg! 💖

I misunderstood and thought the other duck abdomens you felt were already laying. Laying girls definitely have a different feel to them than non laying girls.

I also don't want to discourage you from going in if she needs it. Today my duck has a recheck and I'll be mentioning that she's been extra grumpy.... So.... Yeah. :oops:

I may have to wait a week anyway because of vet availability.

I've been watching her for a couple of hours now. She seems normal. I really wish I had another bird to compare her to (besides my runner).

This waiting game sucks. But I'm sure y'all know that.
Here, look at my saggy bottom girls. This is normal for mine.
20210619_133556_HDR_(1).jpg
20210619_133637_(1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom