4 months old chicken

colonue

Hatching
Dec 5, 2020
Hello,
I am raising my 3 chickens in garage which is draft-free with ventilation. They are now 4 months old and fully feathered. 2 of them are girls and 1 rooster.
So that rooster is stubborn. It keep crowing at night and pecking/fighting with hens all the day. Hens looks scared from their man. What bothers me when it crows at night. I am afraid someone would call police on me.
I live in Toronto which is cold these days. 0 to -5c is ambient temperature in my garage. I have installed 60w bulb for night and 15w for day in cage. Is he crowing because of cold or it's just his natural behavior? FYI, there's no threat of predators in garage and I don't know their breed but rooster and one hen is white and other hen is brown.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello,
I am raising my 3 chickens in garage which is draft-free with ventilation. They are now 4 months old and fully feathered. 2 of them are girls and 1 rooster.
So that rooster is stubborn. It keep crowing at night and pecking/fighting with hens all the day. Hens looks scared from their man. What bothers me when it crows at night. I am afraid someone would call police on me.
I live in Toronto which is cold these days. 0 to -5c is ambient temperature in my garage. I have installed 60w bulb for night and 15w for day in cage. Is he crowing because of cold or it's just his natural behavior? FYI, there's no threat of predators in garage.

Thanks!
20201204_10372515.jpg

Having a light on will trigger the crowing. Even a neighbors porch light shining into a coop can trigger it. Since yours are in the garage I would say it is the light you have added.

If he is making the females miserable perhaps he needs a country home.
Having just 2 females to the one male is not the best situation for any of them really.

Having a light on will trigger the crowing. Even a neighbors porch light shining into a coop can trigger it. Since yours are in the garage I would say it is the light you have added.

If he is making the females miserable perhaps he needs a country home.
Having just 2 females to the one male is not the best situation for any of them really.
Thanks for your reply. Do you think I should remove night light which is red?

Back
Top Bottom