4-months old goat kids are panting (need for concern?)

Granolamom

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Dallas
My recently aquired 4-month old kids were running and playing catch in our yard, and I noticed that they're both totally out of breath and panting like puppies. We've recently gotten blessed with some nice spring weather, with temps around the low 70's, and I've noticed that especially the little girl gets out of breath and starts panting real easily, after just a few minutes of running around.
Forgive me, if this is a silly question, it's my first time having goats, and I'm still learning new stuff every day.

My goats will get to panting if they run and play too hard or my adult doe will pant if she is warm.

I keep an eye on whether their breathing is even and sounds normal - no coughs - no continuous wheezes - and they should be fine.

They have spring fever!

If they were running and playing a lot, it is normal for them to pant. They can not sweat. When my daughter gets out running and playing "tag" with our two goats they start panting after awhile. I just make sure when they start panting that we give the games a break for a while to let them cool off if it is hot outside.

You do not have to ask for forgiveness, we are all here to help, it is not a dumb question at all.

Back
Top Bottom