4 Pullets in 5 Days

austinclarksf

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 17, 2012
Hi folks,

I live and work on a ranch near Half Moon Bay, CA. We keep a flock of around 50 chickens, 3 roosters. Diverse breeds and ages, two ameracauna roosters (one red one white), one buckeye rooster, parents of two generations. Most of our hens are 3+ years old, and are mostly ameracauna or buckeye.

I'm new to the ranch, moved here in early Feb. We aided in hatching a new group in late Feb, and they are coming along nicely. Up until this weekend, that is. Starting last Friday, we began finding dead buckeye pullets in the pen. Every morning another one, except on Monday morning.

The little things appear green/blue in the abdomen, and very bloated. Pressing on their stomachs cause a foul odor and expulsion from behind- they appear constipated. None of the living are exhibiting any strange symptoms, all chirp, eat, and run about normally.

They have regular access to running or stagnant water basins, switched from chick feed to adult size pellet food one month ago (18% protein, organic), and are protected from predators. In the evenings, they are confined to an indoor/outdoor pen (flock of 35 in 10x15 outdoor and 5x8 indoor space), during the day they are allowed out into a gated apple orchard to graze. We cleaned their pen thoroughly on Friday after the first death.

My co-workers are not sure what's happening, and if we find another dead we're sending it in for biopsy right away. I've come by plenty of life-saving advise here, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this issue. Regardless of if we lose more, I'd like to try and identify what happened to these pullets. Our groundskeeper wondered if the angel trumpet tree is toxic to them, as they are eating the leaves.

Open to any ideas and suggestions. Can disclose more information, or pics of any further deaths or living pullets.

Last edited:
Coccidiosis may be a problem. It causes swelling and hemorrhage into the intestines, and is common in chicks between 3-20 weeks. Corid or amprollium is the best treatment for 5 days. Enteritis from clostridium perfringens could also be a problem, and it causes brown foul smelling diarrhea. Various antibiotics will treat it. I haven't seen these before, so I haven't seen the discolored abdomens. I don't know if worms would cause the blue-green color, but it may cause abdominal swelling. Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormers are very good.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. Glad to have helpful hands.

My experience so far with toxic plants is... if a chicken tries it they'll stop. If not, then it may be a singular nutrient source that they are lacking or a space confinement issue. If anyone has direct issues with a specific plant I'd like to hear your stories.

I've had limited experience with cocci. But, cocci usually allows at least a 12 hour warning right? Sluggish activity, listlessness, foul odor in the pen, bloody or black stools. None of these symptoms are evident, but then again I only have experience with cocci in adults. Also, cocci is something that is usually introduced to the environment- young chicks being allowed outside for instance, can trigger an outbreak as cocci strains can be endemic in different soils or local wildlife. These pullets have had a consistent environment for months now. Also, shouldn't they be dying in larger numbers and faster...? But this is my understanding so far of cocci- please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll inspect the pen closer tomorrow- and try to grab some hens. I've checked the rear and respiratory vent of a few pullets, and all over their feathers, and they seem parasite free.

Back
Top Bottom