4 square feet per chicken?

I have a 4x3 coop and a 4x3 run underneath with an additional 6x2.5 run attached uncovered.

Thats 27 sf. of run. I have 2 Buff pullets and just purchased 2 Wyandotte pullets to finish my flock. I keep seeing 10 sft per bird for the run but only have about 7 sf each per run. I know the coop is fine, but is it a big deal if the run is a little small? I'd hate to have to do a renovation.

Thoughts?

Photo

I think they will be fine =) Very nice coop!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I guess I can always bump out one quadrant a little bit if they really seem cramped at full growth..

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I guess I can always bump out one quadrant a little bit if they really seem cramped at full growth..

If you think they would be crowded, you could always make a mini pen to move around the yard on some days, I'm going to have birds in a slightly smaller coop, but same sized run, and I'm going to let the roam every other day.

Hmm, the reply function here doesn't do what I expect it to do. I suppose I should start using the quote button. That was a reply to a statement a page or two back.

I have a 4x3 coop and a 4x3 run underneath with an additional 6x3 run attached uncovered.

Thats 30 sf. of run. I have 2 Buff pullets and just purchased 2 Wyandotte pullets to finish my flock. I keep seeing 10 sft per bird for the run but only have about 7.5 sf each per run. I know the coop is fine, but is it a big deal if the run is a little small? I'd hate to have to do a renovation.

Thoughts?

Photo

The more room the better, but you'll have to see how your birds do in that space...some might be good with it, others maybe not so much.

Back
Top Bottom