4 toed favorelles?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cassie0980, Apr 30, 2009.

1. cassie0980

cassie0980 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Western New York
    My husband and I recently bought some fertile salmon favorelle eggs on ebay, and after the hatch we discovered that there were only 4 toes. Is is possible for any favorelle to have 4 toes instead of 5, or have we been shnookered?

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I hate to say it you've been taken, even my mahonagy fav's have 5 toes

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    the Blue Faverolles I hatched out from Catalupa Farms, yep, all of them had four toes and had to cull them all out. some didnt have beards. Told the breeders they need more work on the breed and they were not too happy about it. At least I was honest and I contacted some of the people that got her Blues, they said some of them did have fifth toes and many of them didnt or missing a beard or didnt look like Faverolles. It was awful and they must have sold them all.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Any 5-toes breed can occasionally hatch birds with 4 or 6 toes, but for all of them to have had 4, their breeding standards and breeder birds have something wrong.

5. cassie0980

cassie0980 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Western New York
    Thanks everyone, although I am a little bummed to find out we've been had. I contacted the person we bought them from and she was extremely apologetic. Apparently some of her hens escaped from the pens, and she thought they were found and put back before anything happened. She is willing to send more eggs and pay the shipping, so hopefully this time around we'll get some true favs. Thanks again for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by