4 week old Bramah, clear liquid coming from mouth.

Ashley80

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 22, 2008
Lesmurdie, Western Australia
One of my chicks was looking a bit off this morning (head down, eyes closed). When I picked it up a stream of clear liquid came from it's mouth. I can't find many posts with this as a major symptom, those I can find are pretty vague and mention possible sinus infection or crop problem?

The chicks vent, eyes and nostrils are clear. It's crop felt empty.

It's been isolated it in it's own brooder with mashed boiled egg and apple cider vinegar and honey water for the last hour. I've seen it drink but not eat.

Is there anything else I should be doing for it? One of my kids was quite sick last week and I've got some left over penicillin in the fridge if that helps at all?

I would get some Corid, and treat it and the others for possible coccidiosis. Having a full slow crop can be common during cocci. Symptoms are lethargy, poor appetite, diarrhea, puffing up or hunching over, ruffled feathers, and weakness. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days, followed by probiotics an vitamins for several days. Stop the ACV in the water since it may irritate the intestines more.

Thanks for that, since I last posted it's been drinking a lot and eating a little and has very water poo (Basically water with white streaks in it). I'll track down some medication today.

Just wanted to say thanks fro your advice. I got some Coccivet yesterday (all I could find locally that was similar to the product you mentioned) and after 24 hours o treatment the sad chick is much happier. I wouldn't have guess it without your help since it didn't have bloody stools.

Back
Top Bottom