4 week old chick having seizures? Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenpiedpiper, Mar 14, 2011.

1. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Songster

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    I have a 4 week old mix breed female chick, who started carrying her head funny yesterday. She was carrying it low, like she couldnt stand up straight. Had a stiff neck look. It kept getting progressively worse, and lower, but she was eating and drinking and hoping about like everyone else in the batch. Now she is in the brooder, and she seems to be having siezures or spasms, where her head curls under her so tightly that her beak will be pointed straight up! meanwhile she is peddling backwards until she gets stuck in a corner. There she braces until the spasm passes, and she kind of looks around. But she doesnt bring her head up above a certain point. between spasms she makes that sad trilling noise of a scared baby. I dont know what to do for her!

Basic info.

She is one of 7, others are all fine.
    eating purina start and grow, non medicated.
    no injuries or falls, the others are not picking on her, they seem to be avoiding her now.
    No exposure to older birds yet.
    Not turning summersaults, just twisting her neck at unbelievable angles!

I have checked my chicken health handbook, and nothing in the troubleshooting guides even comes close to this!!

what do I do for her?

2. chickenpiedpiper

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Any one?

3. clkingtx

clkingtx Songster

Dec 1, 2009
    Sorry no one has responded yet, sometimes it takes a little while. I haven't had that experience myself, but I think I read on byc a similar post, and the chicken had botulism? Maybe doing a search along those lines will find you some useful information. I think someone had one that had gotten botulism, and was able to recover, with treatment.
    Hope that helps.
    Carrie

4. chickenpiedpiper

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Thank you, I will investigate that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: