4 week old chicks ate what?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Year of the Rooster, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    [​IMG]
    The past couple days I've noticed my chicks eating their bedding. We use wood shavings from a friend of our because he makes different wood furnitures. Is this safe for them to eat? I know that it is not cedar, the guy doesn't use cedar in any of his furnitures. I tried sprinkling some ash on them. If it tastes bad, they won't eat it right? [​IMG] They have access to an 8x12 run and almost every day I let them out to freerange the yard and gardens. Thank you for your replies.

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I don't think they will eat their bedding,but if so I don't think it will hurt them,because I saw a show and they were saying that birds in general can tell real good what is ok for them and what is not.
    I would keep plenty of starter grower for them in thier feeders and let it go.
    Good luck
    Omran

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mine eat their straw.... And it gives one of them the hiccups.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I think they all do it..no idea why. Just make sure they have access to grit to break it down.

Jody

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Son #4 today tells me that after he got through mopping the coop and putting down the new pine shavings that the hens came in and some of them started eating it. I promptly went out and gave them some laying mash.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by