4 week old chicks making odd noises

AlaskaBookworm

Chirping
Aug 10, 2019
so recently we noticed that a few of our 4 week old chicks have starting making these weird trilling noises every once in a while. Usually when they’re asking for attention, they’ll chirp for a while then take a deep breath and make a long trilling noise for a few seconds. I’ve only noticed our “suspected roosters” doing it, so is this an attempt at crowing of some sort, or do all chickens do it?

I think I know what sound you’re talking about.

The trill sound that chicks make is often if they see a possible threat or something odd. Along those lines.

It’s kinda like a rooster trill when he sees danger but higher pitched right?

I believe all chicks make this sound.

I think I know what sound you’re talking about.

The trill sound that chicks make is often if they see a possible threat or something odd. Along those lines.

It’s kinda like a rooster trill when he sees danger but higher pitched right?

I believe all chicks make this sound.
Yeah, I think it’s pretty high pitched. When one of them trills the rest go quiet and look at him like “what?”. Good to know it’s not a rooster thing.

No, I have acquired 3 hens and 2 roosters from a family member that died and they are their own flock. These birds all make the same noise. It is high pitch and sounds like a whistle mixed with a kazoo at the end. I didn't even know chickens could or did make this noise, until I got these ones. My other chickens do not make this noise. Also when one of these chickens starts making the noise the others follow.. so it turns into a humming noise between them all like the children of the corn have arrived. These birds are all older around 5-6 years old roughly FYI.

Back
Top Bottom