4 week old chicks not growing

cdanna

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 20, 2014
I need some help figuring out what I am doing wrong! I got 5 Golden Laced Wyandotte chicks from the local feed store about 4 weeks ago and they are not doing well. One of them died today and I think it was because we have them in with baby ducks and geese, and the ducks and geese splashed water on the chick and it got cold. We've taken out the big water container and made sure all the remaining chicks are nice and dry.

I looked at pics of normal development tonight and my chicks really seem to be lagging behind. They are at least 4 weeks old and they basically look like baby chicks with partially formed feathers, no real growth.

I have been feeding them a mix of equal parts corn, millet, quinoa, and oats that I grind up in a coffee grinder every day. The millet has equal protein levels to wheat, and quinoa is very high protein so I dont understand why they aren't growing.

The first two days we had them under a regular light bulb and I was feeding them mainly oats, wheat grout and corn. I realized both of those things were stupid and changed to a 100 watt red bulb and the new feed mix. Did I stunt their growth? Is it hopeless?

I'm really worried after losing one of the chicks, any help would be appreciated. I am attaching pics of them that I took just a minute ago. (the big chick in the third pic is a turkey)

PS- please feel free to tell me if I am doing something wrong, I want to learn and I cant take better care of my chicks if I dont know what I am doing wrong. I dont get defensive. I really just need help!!

Everything I've read high recommends using Chick Starter. Now that we are 2 weeks into this, I understand why. It has everything they need to be healthy and grow like weeds. They probably are not getting what they need nutritionally to grow. I'd consider switching and see how things go. Good luck!

Also if you are feeding grains, if they don't have chick grit they can't even properly digest the grains. Stick with starter for the first eight weeks.

I use chick starter medicated for first couple of weeks, then growth/starter grain as per instructions. The reproduction system is really key in a hen. Daily egg formation. Ducks and turkeys don't have that worry as much. give all of them medicated chick starter and a gallon of water with probiotic/electrolyte mix. This will beef them up with energy and give them what they are missing. should solve the problem.

Back
Top Bottom