4 Week Old Chicks Not Thriving

Even though I am new to this forum I am not new to chickens. I have kept chickens for well over ten years now (I keep all kinds of exotic birds here) and almost every one of my birds has been raised from a newly hatched egg.

As stated before, I do not believe warmth or lack there of is the issue. They are kept (as all of my chicks have been kept over the years) in a warm brooder that is large enough for them to run around (and spread their wings, so to speak) and get away from the heat lamp as they see fit.

I feed them a chick starter. Access to grit is provided, but I don't think that is the issue. No treats. Although, I am giving some thought to providing some to help them put on weight.

I posted this because I am also aware that hens can pass on things to their offspring via the egg. I am still trying to research whether or not to worm, so have not done so yet. Like the rest of you, I am hesitant to worm without all the facts.

Buck Creek Chickens: They probably were started on pine shavings, but I have not had them on pine shavings here. I have had the chicks for a couple weeks now and their crops are quite empty. I don't feel anything in their crops.

I know that one of the most common issues with chickens are parasites. What else could it be?

Their crops are empty? Chicks are usually pretty hungry and usually run around with full crops. 4 weeks is young for worm type parasites. Coccidia certainly, but not worms. Lice/mites can cause weak chicks- inspect for those on chicks and in the brooder at night. Heat/temps you are confident with- so not that. Dietary deficiencies usually show up around 4-6 weeks, as they are using up the last of the vits provided from mom & yolk. So check the expiration date/mill date on the chick feed & if a local mill- consider switching to a commercial brand. If from a bulk bin, get a bag with a current mill date. Consider dropping off a fecal at the vet's. Not all cocci cause diarrhea, but most do. If there is a heavy worm burden, that will certainly show up on a fecal. There are some illnesses that can pass to the chick via the egg- but not that many. Any chance you have bantams mixed with standards? Vitamin supplements certainly won't hurt- good ol polyvisol sans iron is the one people on this forum are most fond of.

Your original post said that you recently acquired them. Did the brand/size shape of food they were being fed change? That is the only thing I can think of.

Tonight I brought them up into the house checking for parasites. I noticed that one chick pooped a very white liquid. There may be some parasites involved but the evidence was inconclusive. There were some black dots on the paper towel, so I believe that means mites or lice. I got the magnifying glass out but I currently do not have a very powerful one.

Back
Top Bottom