4 week old Red chick Breed? Pullet or Roo?

ManuelMonster

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 28, 2013
Tampico Tamaulipas
Shes about to be 5 weeks old but i noticed that her?his comb looks pink since she was 3 weeks..

also she is too light to be a true RIR right? my cousin has one and its darker :( what do you think?
idunno.gif

she also has almost no tail feathers and its taking too long to get her normal ones (she got her wing feathers faster tho)

srry for my bad english :3

The comb is a little bigger and pinker than I like to see at five weeks, so will vote possible boy. Hatchery RIR especially can really vary in color, and are usually a lighter red than the show/breeder birds. What color was this one as a young chick? The head is a lot more chipmunk colored looking now than the RIR I am used to usually are. :welcome

The comb is a little bigger and pinker than I like to see at five weeks, so will vote possible boy. Hatchery RIR especially can really vary in color, and are usually a lighter red than the show/breeder birds. What color was this one as a young chick? The head is a lot more chipmunk colored looking now than the RIR I am used to usually are.
welcome-byc.gif

it was the same color just more chipmunk-ey lol :p and thank you :D

EDIT: It reminds me of this post https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/766162/is-my-young-rir-a-roo-or-pullet it turned out to be a hen after all *crosses fingers*

Last edited:
That doesn't look like RIR to me...in my experience RIR are not chipmunks. Welsummers, Brown Leghorns, and Easter Eggers are....however your chick doesn't look like a proper one of those either.

So sorry, I am not saying what it is as it doesn't fit any proper category.

Having said that...larger comb and pink is worrisome, however, I had one that went pink early but still ended up a hen.

Just watch it. If it is a roo, that comb will get big and red in not time.
Lady of McCamley

That doesn't look like RIR to me...in my experience RIR are not chipmunks. Welsummers, Brown Leghorns, and Easter Eggers are....however your chick doesn't look like a proper one of those either.

So sorry, I am not saying what it is as it doesn't fit any proper category.

Having said that...larger comb and pink is worrisome, however, I had one that went pink early but still ended up a hen.

Just watch it. If it is a roo, that comb will get big and red in not time.
Lady of McCamley

The place where i bought it said that she was a "Red layer chicken" lol :(

i hope its a hen thank you :D

The place where i bought it said that she was a "Red layer chicken" lol :(

i hope its a hen thank you :D

Well that's about as honest as I've seen red birds sold as! It's true, most of them from hatcheries aren't specific breeds, they're just generic red birds that are bred to be great layers.

Back
Top Bottom