4 weeks old - possible roo??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jessied1227, Aug 12, 2007.

1. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    Here a couple pics I snapped this evening. I've been spending a lot of time up with the babies in their coop and run. Two of the 11 "hens" have some huge comb development compared to the others.

Here is a pic of what most of the girls look like, comb development-wise:
    [​IMG]

Here is one that I am worrying about being a roo. It's the prettiest one, too:
    [​IMG]

I ordered 11 SLW hens and 1 BO roo from Ideal. There were no extras for warmth.
    Is it too early to tell?
    TIA-
    Jess

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

That looks like a roo to me.

3. jessied1227

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    [​IMG]

Anyone else? Is 4 weeks too early to tell?

4. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Is that a pea comb. I suck at telling the sex with a pea comb but I vote yes on roo.

5. jessied1227

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    Yes, it's a pea comb, and I've got 2 possible roosters, then. These two stick out like little red cherry tomatoes from the rest of the bunch. [​IMG]

Well, I know the BO is a roo. Okay, well I ORDERED a roo, lol. Here he is:
    [​IMG]

So, with these three and the four straight run chicks I got at the farm show, I could have WAY too many roos. [​IMG]

I guess I will see which one is the prettiest or best tempered and maybe keep 2.

Jess

6. lady chicken whisperer

lady chicken whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Ohio
    If thats a SLW its supposed to be a rose comb, and try not to judge based on comb size alone. Ive had black australorp and BO hens that have HUGE combs. Give it some more time to be sure.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wyandottes have a rose comb unless one pops up with a single comb,as they do from time to time-comes from the Cochin ancestry.
    The one you're worrying about IS a cockerel. Wyandotte pullets don't redden in the comb or really get wattles for over three months. The Buff Orp is a cockerel, but you know that.

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Yep- I have Wyandotte pullets and one roo, and Hotwing was an obvious roo at 4-5 weeks. Your roo's comb may be about the same size now, but wait until he's about 3-4 months. You'll go out there one morning and it will have tripled in size! [​IMG]

9. jessied1227

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    Ah, rose comb. For some reason I thought it was a pea comb. Thanks guys, I've learned something.

So, after going up this AM and really taking a good look at the one pictured and the other with the same size & color comb, I going to assume I have 2 roos.

Now, this was my first hatchery order, and it was from Ideal. I ordered 11 hens and 1 BO roo, they put no extras in for warmth. Is it common to get 2 roos in an order of 11 hens? I'm mildly irritated about it. [​IMG]

I'll try to get a picture of the other suspect this evening.

Watch - the 4 Americana babies I got @ the Farm Show are probably ALL roosters, lol. I picked them out, it would be my luck. [​IMG]

Thanks again-
    Jess

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, they really only guarantee something like 90% accuracy in each order, I think. Sexing is an art, after all. So, looks like that held up in your case, unfortunately, LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by