4 weeks old - possible roo??

jessied1227

Songster
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
East Brady, PA
Here a couple pics I snapped this evening. I've been spending a lot of time up with the babies in their coop and run. Two of the 11 "hens" have some huge comb development compared to the others.

Here is a pic of what most of the girls look like, comb development-wise:
jess2015.jpg

Here is one that I am worrying about being a roo. It's the prettiest one, too:
jess2013.jpg

I ordered 11 SLW hens and 1 BO roo from Ideal. There were no extras for warmth.
Is it too early to tell?
TIA-
Jess

Yes, it's a pea comb, and I've got 2 possible roosters, then. These two stick out like little red cherry tomatoes from the rest of the bunch.
roll.png

Well, I know the BO is a roo. Okay, well I ORDERED a roo, lol. Here he is:
jess2007-1.jpg

So, with these three and the four straight run chicks I got at the farm show, I could have WAY too many roos.
hmm.png

I guess I will see which one is the prettiest or best tempered and maybe keep 2.

Jess

If thats a SLW its supposed to be a rose comb, and try not to judge based on comb size alone. Ive had black australorp and BO hens that have HUGE combs. Give it some more time to be sure.

Wyandottes have a rose comb unless one pops up with a single comb,as they do from time to time-comes from the Cochin ancestry.
The one you're worrying about IS a cockerel. Wyandotte pullets don't redden in the comb or really get wattles for over three months. The Buff Orp is a cockerel, but you know that.

Quote:
Yep- I have Wyandotte pullets and one roo, and Hotwing was an obvious roo at 4-5 weeks. Your roo's comb may be about the same size now, but wait until he's about 3-4 months. You'll go out there one morning and it will have tripled in size!
th.gif

Ah, rose comb. For some reason I thought it was a pea comb. Thanks guys, I've learned something.

So, after going up this AM and really taking a good look at the one pictured and the other with the same size & color comb, I going to assume I have 2 roos.

Now, this was my first hatchery order, and it was from Ideal. I ordered 11 hens and 1 BO roo, they put no extras in for warmth. Is it common to get 2 roos in an order of 11 hens? I'm mildly irritated about it.
hmm.png

I'll try to get a picture of the other suspect this evening.

Watch - the 4 Americana babies I got @ the Farm Show are probably ALL roosters, lol. I picked them out, it would be my luck.
roll.png

Thanks again-
Jess

Back
Top Bottom