4 wk old Rhode Island chicks dying

Brahma Mamma

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 16, 2010
I have almost 100 Rhode Island chicks that are almost 4 weeks old. The past 3 days they have started dying. Just one a day at first and now it seems a couple are dropping every couple of hours. They don't seem to have any respiratory symptoms and are eating and drinking. Some of their stool is dark or bloody. The "healthy" ones are chirping and active. Any ideas?

This is an update. For anyone reading this thread for future cocci breakouts. IF YOU SEE YOUR CHICKS START DYING AT AN ACCELERATED RATE (ours started one a day about 4 days ago and now it's up to 3 an hour) DON'T WAIT!!! GO AND GET SOME SULMET OR CORDI!!! My husband is racing back from the tractor supply that is an hour away. Meanwhile, our chicks are dropping like flies.

They don't have any symptoms other than bloody stool. CHECK YOUR STOOL every time you check them! We are brand new to chick raising and this is a mistake we will not make again. We have kept them in fresh bedding but did not wash the waterers regularly. We have 500 other birds that are about a month older (prepping them for free range laying) and have been completely overwhelmed. We also have been LUCKY this is our first serious health problem.

I'm guessing we're going to lose 90% of our RIR chicks or all of them. It doesn't look good. I am so very sad.
hit.gif

Thank you for your timely advice! We have administered the Corid to their water (after thoroughly cleaning their waterers). We got a sterile syringe and administered some medicated water to the ones who were laying down. This takes two people. I opened the beak and my husband put water in them. It's been an hour and only one dead so far. They are chirping a little more now, so maybe that's a good sign. I will keep updating their progress.

We have only lost one since my last post and only a couple are down. This is a vast improvement on the sick/death rate earlier today.

It's 8:41pm and 3 more dead. But that's great for 3 hours! The rest are subdued but not sprawled on the bedding. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom