4 wks old and wanting out !!

hjkr1130

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 3, 2008
I have 13 baby chickens, they are 4 weeks old today and they want out !! I am new at raising chickens, so anyone who can help, please !! Here's the problem, they currently caged in my garage and everytime I go to change the water or food, they all start jumping out of the cage, I can't catch them fast enough. I have given in and let them out to play in that area, but they are getting really brave and going outside, I pick them up and bring the ones that got out back in, but then all them start trying to get out !! I'm really nervous because we have hawks,bears and other critters. I'm only one person trying to catch them and I'm sure anyone watching gets a good laugh out of me running around picking up my babies
lau.gif

Can I let them out by themselves yet? will they come back if danger is lurking? I want the best for my babies, please help
Thanks

If they want out that bad then LET 'EM OUT! I've taken mine out ever since they were 3 days old. Of course I had to make sure they were warm but yours should be feathered enough to not have to worry about that. Is your brooder too small? They may be cramped in there if they really want out.

We are working on the run, it's not ready yet. I didn't think they would want out so bad, so fast.... They have plenty of room, they have always been very active on day two they were jumping over the cardboard. If I let them out, should I keep there cage on the back patio, just in case they need to feel safe and cover the top?? Should I stay with them? I don't think I was this nervous having children:gig They have almost all of their feathers, just missing some on the tops of their heads. And our weather is still in the upper 80's during the day. Thanks for all your help

You could put the box out on the deck and lay a bit of chicken wire over the top with something to hold it down - that way you wouldn't have to sit there with them.

welcome-byc.gif

Yes they grow so fast,,almost miss that stage.
Little ones can get into big trouble running loose.
I would keep them in a covered box when not able to watch until you get your run finished.

We put our 4wk olds out in a dog ex-pen with an old double window screen over the top. They love it, get some exercise and can get acquainted safely with the 8wk old.

Back
Top Bottom