4 year old goose has never laid an egg

Isn't DNA testing by collecting the shell after birth and sent off? Could the mix up come from there if there was one My baby's make a mess when hatching. Isint it the membrane and goop they test? Just thinking out loud.
Just looked up fee for one company its $24.00 a bird with that one. plus your cost to ship it to them
Yeah that's the easiest way to test babies. I assume that's how they were tested. A mix up could have happened then.
At hatch, the females are darker but it doesn't last very long. By one week, it's hard to distinguish between the two. If they have color genes mixed in that no longer applies. Post pictures of the 2. My guess is that you have 2 ganders. You can't rely on breeding either. 2 ganders will go at it when they only have each other.
I don't think I have a pic with both of them in it. Here's a pic of the "female." I'll get a pic of them together when I go to let the chickens out today.
photo0.jpg

On my 2 winter hatches this year I vent sexed (didnt do well with the ducks last year) Both hatches I could positively ID 2 boys but the rest were a mystery. Told both adopters I could only promise 2 boys out of 5 baby's. I also had a 10 month old girl that seemed to be picked on allot so I brought her in and checked also checked my gander. Yep completely different. But still not sure till she just started laying. My boy was so easy to see. Do you have someone that can help hold. If so wait till a fairly warm day have a warm bowl (not hot) of water and rag ready turn the goose on its back till it relaxes a bit (pull the leggs twards its head and its tail back) use the warm water to get the area to relax then rotate softly with your ringers with a push down and pull out motion like your trying to unscrew a screw from the wall but gently. remember rightly tightly lefty loose. Your going left. If its a boy you will know if its a girl you may still be wondering since your not getting a egg verification. If you see the little evidence remember to use the warm water again to coax it back in. I was the barn superintended for a 4H fair back in my 20s and had to do that with all the birds when they came in. The adults are much easier if you can get them to relax.

Last edited:
On my 2 winter hatches this year I vent sexed (didnt do well with the ducks last year) Both hatches I could positively ID 2 boys but the rest were a mystery. Told both adopters I could only promise 2 boys out of 5 baby's. I also had a 10 month old girl that seemed to be picked on allot so I brought her in and checked also checked my gander. Yep completely different. But still not sure till she just started laying. My boy was so easy to see. Do you have someone that can help hold. If so wait till a fairly warm day have a warm bowl (not hot) of water and rag ready turn the goose on its back till it relaxes a bit (pull the leggs twards its head and its tail back) use the warm water to get the area to relax then rotate softly with your ringers with a push down and pull out motion like your trying to unscrew a screw from the wall but gently. remember rightly tightly lefty loose. Your going left. If its a boy you will know if its a girl you may still be wondering since your not getting a egg verification. If you see the little evidence remember to use the warm water again to coax it back in. I was the barn superintended for a 4H fair back in my 20s and had to do that with all the birds when they came in. The adults are much easier if you can get them to relax.
I could probably do that. It's currently 15 degrees outside though so I assume I'd have to wait till it's warmer. I do have help.

By that picture alone, my gut says goose but there are other cues that are dead giveaways. How they talk, how they walk, how they interact. Things you only pick up by observation.
Well if it helps, the "female" is a lot friendlier than the male. She'll slowly approach new things with her head down while making quite honking noises. I haven't seen her get territorial during breeding season like a male would.

wouldnt it be great if we could all get over the fear of how to vent sex our baby's after puberty. With geese its a 2 man job because of there size. A learning curd for all. I belong to a few facebook groups and at least one a week someone wants all of us to decide if we have a boy or a girl. There are allot of tell a tail signs but the true answer is vent sexing. We need to all get over our fear of that it can be done gently with help. Unfortunately I didnt have help both the babys had to lay flat on there back on my couch relax and trust me. They did after a little relaxation. PS my name Drakezilla my drake is one of the kindest birds you will ever meet except when the mating season starts he has tought me so much. He is the protector of all duck eggs in my barn. We have children to teach us and out flock are part of our children.

Back
Top Bottom