40 hour zip… does he look ok??

New2quaill

Chirping
Sep 14, 2021
So our last egg to hatch.. he had to be in the zip stage for 35 or so hours maybe 40. Last 24 no progress.. I wet his membrane with warm water , gently chipped a little of his shell away and he hatched by himself My other chicks I never saw immediately after they hatched .. does he look normal for just hatching ? How long usually till they get there bearings ? He’s laying now .. kicking His feet then resting .. repeat.. thanks . Hasn’t got history under him just yet .. and the humidity is at 75 right now.. that ok? Thansk

Attachments

• 1B5E8233-1D3D-44F2-9B16-4447E9286C72.jpeg
    1B5E8233-1D3D-44F2-9B16-4447E9286C72.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 0D03CA66-942B-469F-9B5E-6CF75207A083.jpeg
    0D03CA66-942B-469F-9B5E-6CF75207A083.jpeg
    378.6 KB · Views: 12
Was he malpositioned?

I had a chick that was head over wing once and he could not zip at all, so we ended up assisting about 48 hours after his pip.
Once we got him out, we noticed his beak was bruised and for the first 2-3 days he was extremely uncoordinated and could not hold weight on his legs. He could still get around rather rambunctiously and feed despite this and there weren't any obvious deformities aside from his poor red toes and the bump on his nose, which is supposed to be typical of getting stuck. He gradually gained strength each day and by the end of the week, you wouldn't have known anything was amiss. He just 'really' wreaked his muscles trying to zip and needed a bit if time to come right, but did so without our help and grew up to be a lovely little boy.

Was he malpositioned?

I had a chick that was head over wing once and he could not zip at all, so we ended up assisting about 48 hours after his pip.
Once we got him out, we noticed his beak was bruised and for the first 2-3 days he was extremely uncoordinated and could not hold weight on his legs. He could still get around rather rambunctiously and feed despite this and there weren't any obvious deformities aside from his poor red toes and the bump on his nose, which is supposed to be typical of getting stuck. He gradually gained strength each day and by the end of the week, you wouldn't have known anything was amiss. He just 'really' wreaked his muscles trying to zip and needed a bit if time to come right, but did so without our help and grew up to be a lovely little boy.
Not sure about if it was, Bad positioning, never seen one hatch before . He kicks wildly , head moves around .. i just wondering if anything I can do .. if he stays like this he won’t be able to even get around and eat. He’s on his side and or back . But he’s only been hatched for about an hour or so.. but the others.. I mean one hatched hour after I checked on the eggs and he was wobbling around almost chirping

Give it a couple hours to rest after hatching. It is not unusual for a chick not to know which way is up. Are there eggs still hatching? If not I would let the humidity drop. I personally try not to be over 70 even for hatching, but I know some go higher.

No more eggs hatching . Ok it’s been almost 2hours . He’s flopping around sideways on his back … went right under the paper towels had to fix that.. tried settling him on his feet for a second .. no coordination at all yet

Just fell bad .. hatched 5 .. literally just lost one.. 10 min after this post .. just passed in the brooder .. he was so weak.. I think he tried to eat and choked I dunno.. all the others.. I think are good .. sleeping in the corner together

Just fell bad .. hatched 5 .. literally just lost one.. 10 min after this post .. just passed in the brooder .. he was so weak.. I think he tried to eat and choked I dunno.. all the others.. I think are good .. sleeping in the corner together
Was it the chick in the beginning?

If so, that chick took super long to hatch, too long. It is also smaller than normal and most likely was malpositioned. The odds were against it...

Was it the chick in the beginning?

If so, that chick took super long to hatch, too long. It is also smaller than normal and most likely was malpositioned. The odds were against it...
No.. this one just hatched two hours ago about . The one who passed about 4 days old ..

He’s fluffing out now and really trying to stand.. banging all around the incubator .. and now chirping .. I hope I don’t have to cull.. never done it .. I know it’s life .. was hard enough to bury the one we hit attached to..

Attachments

• 44505D85-B45F-4741-9B06-7B5587AFF2A0.jpeg
    44505D85-B45F-4741-9B06-7B5587AFF2A0.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom