40 hour zip… does he look ok??

No.. this one just hatched two hours ago about . The one who passed about 4 days old ..
Give him time to rest. Chicks can die of exhaustion over a stuck zip. They may not be moving from our point of view, but that doesn't mean they haven't been trying to for the past 40 hours, so he'll be exhausted and probably sore right now. They do not need to eat immediately thanks to the yolk, so keep him warm and give him time to recover. As mentioned, my little stuckling took days to fully recover from the ordeal.

He’s fluffing out now and really trying to stand.. banging all around the incubator .. and now chirping .. I hope I don’t have to cull.. never done it .. I know it’s life .. was hard enough to bury the one we hit attached to..
Chicks cannot breathe upside down. I am sad to tell you that I do not think the chick has a good chance of making it...

You could try to help it stand, like put it in a cup feet down.

Chicks cannot breathe upside down. I am sad to tell you that I do not think the chick has a good chance of making it...

You could try to help it stand, like put it in a cup feet down.
He just hatched .. so I need to leave in the incubator for awhile .. hopefully he stops kicking and relaxes and sleep soon.. and then all will be well.. I have a separate spot I can set up as a brooder .. but if he can’t get around.. not sure the point .. he can stay in the brooder for about 24 hours least right .. so theoretically I have about 20 hours or so? Before moving him to a brooder

He just hatched .. so I need to leave in the incubator for awhile .. hopefully he stops kicking and relaxes and sleep soon.. and then all will be well.. I have a separate spot I can set up as a brooder .. but if he can’t get around.. not sure the point .. he can stay in the brooder for about 24 hours least right .. so theoretically I have about 20 hours or so? Before moving him to a brooder
I have never left a chick in the bator for 20 hours! I usually take them out after an hour or right after hatching. They are immediately transferred under a heat lamp. I had a lot of success with that.

Could you fit a cup in the incubator? Make sure the humidity is not above 65% at this point.

I have never left a chick in the bator for 20 hours! I usually take them out after an hour or right after hatching. They are immediately transferred under a heat lamp. I had a lot of success with that.

Could you fit a cup in the incubator? Make sure the humidity is not above 65% at this point.
I was trying not to open the incubator when I had eggs that pipped . So as not to shrink wrap them. I could move him.. but if he can’t stay under the heat.. I can maybe fit a small cup. But I don’t have any non glass ones that small , they get too hot .. the humidity is down to 60..

I was trying not to open the incubator when I had eggs that pipped . So as not to shrink wrap them. I could move him.. but if he can’t stay under the heat.. I can maybe fit a small cup. But I don’t have any non glass ones that small , they get too hot .. the humidity is down to 60..
I could take him out .. put in cup for a bit .. then back in incubator for awhile

Her he is

Attachments

• B6BCB2E4-5F39-4813-AFC3-80E8032F6D7A.jpeg
    B6BCB2E4-5F39-4813-AFC3-80E8032F6D7A.jpeg
    414.3 KB · Views: 6
  • D004B86C-1C21-44DE-9FBC-5984A2B42A2C.jpeg
    D004B86C-1C21-44DE-9FBC-5984A2B42A2C.jpeg
    355.5 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom