40-week-olds not laying yet

Sunyoung

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 25, 2011
Oregon
That's not a typo. I have not one, not two, but THREE forty week old girls that have yet to lay their first eggs or start squatting. Am I doing something wrong? It just seems very unusual to me. I have everyone on grower feed right now with oyster shells and grit as free-choice.

Two are Ameracanas bought from someone who was just starting out with breeding Ameraucanas at the time I believe. I sexed them with some help from memebrs of BYC since... At just about 10 months, it would be hard not know if you had a roo hiding among your flock.
smile.png
The other one is a Cochin bought from the feed store. She was sexed before getting there and is very obviously a hen as well (no saddle feathers and definitely no crowing).
Thank you for reminding me to say what breeds they were (forgot to since I know some breeds will lay much later than others).

Well...I've got nothing to help :( Look up the thread 'should I buy eggs or wait'...theres lots of tips in there in get them to start laying :) (and its funny to boot.) I read some where to give red pepper flakes.

Well, I can't really offer any advice except for wait it out. I have an 11-month-old Brahma pullet who hasn't laid an egg yet, and rarely does a teeny tiny squat. So, I would say maybe switch to layer feed, but I don't really know, that's just a guess. Good luck with your girls!

Layer feed helps. And are they in a high stress area.( like alot of noise, fast movements, predators around) that will make them frightened and that can trigger them to prolong laying. Also how much daylight do they get per day?

Back
Top Bottom