41 dead chickens, please help solve the mystery!!

ClemsonTigerChick

In the Brooder
May 3, 2020
So Tuesday was a very bad day on our farm. My sons placed our 45 meat birds in their new 10' x 10' x 8' chicken tractor on Monday. The chicken tractor was in the field next to the free range area for our other chickens. The birds were about 4 weeks old and had been just a few feet from this area for the last 2 weeks. On Tuesday morning, the boys finished a bag of feed and opened a new bag and poured about 20 lbs into the feeder. (This was stored sealed in our metal barn and away from moisture.) This was the 2nd bag of feed since switching them to non-medicated. (We were 100% organic until we received birds with cocci in March.)
It was a bright sunny day and I checked on the birds around 2pm and didn't notice anything unusual. When 1 son and daughter called me when they went out to put the birds up, I was shocked. "Mom we have 40 dead chickens, and more dying." 1 was even dead in the feeder and 2 in the waterer!
20210915_144527.jpg
I had them move the live birds back to the coop, and by morning another had passed. 4 have survived.
When I went down to look at the scene Wednesday morning, it was horrifying. All of their bellies were green (possibly from decay?) They were all uninjured. The feed looked unremarkable. However, I called the manufacturer and sent some out for testing.
Any other ideas about what could have killed them so quickly? They did eat almost all of the greenery, but this is typical of our birds. Please excuse my graphic photos!
20210915_144529.jpg

:hugsSorry to hear this. Somehow I suspect something in the feed. You mention the greens are same type, as what they were in previous. Can you send a carcass for necropsy. Maybe to the State Dept, of Agriculture. ? I am not sure which agency handles things of this type in chickens:idunno

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:hugs

You mentioned cocci: Even though coccidiosis can be a killer, you would've seen bloody stools, lethargy, no eating or drinking prior to death. This is a massive all at once die-off.

If there was mold in the feed or the feed sack itself, that could cause a die-off.
Chemicals in the grass that they ate could've been a cause as well.

It would be best to wait for the test results to come back and please post the results here in this thread you've started. Thanks in advance. I'm very sorry for your losses.

sorry for your loss.
I'm sure you've had chickens in this tractor before and the pictures don't show the whole thing but did they have a sheltered spot where all could be out of the sun for a bit?

Heat stroke can kill them even hours after getting overheated.

The waterer is empty and bone dry in the picture.

new 10' x 10' x 8' chicken tractor... finished a bag of feed and opened a new bag... It was a bright sunny day and I checked on the birds around 2pm and didn't notice anything unusual....I had them move the live birds back to the coop, and by morning another had passed.

My first thoughts would be the feed (I see you're addressing that) or heat.

Did they have shade? Was the day hotter than usual?

Also, is there any chance that something made them panic? Running around and around the pen can cause them to die, especially on a hot day. (I'm thinking a dog or child running around the outside of the pen, or maybe a low-flying airplane or helicopter, or heavy equipment working next door, or something like that.) I would expect more loose feathers in the pen if they had been running around, or bodies piled in one place if they were trying to get away from something. There are some sort-of piled on one side, but overall I don't think this is as likely as a problem with the feed or just plain heat.

Meat birds go through an unbelievable amount of water, even more with all-you-can-eat feeding, and that waterer doesn't look nearly sufficient for 45 one-month-old meaties even in a cool shady spot. On a bright sunny day, that would last an hour or two, max.

I'm guessing lack of water did them in.

Assuming you're here in SC, it was 89 on Tuesday and if you're sons didn't refill the water, combined with no shade, that could've gotten them. They are all laying around it. If they did, the bad feed could've made them drink more and could be a clue to what was in it. But I would think there would be no survivors with bad feed.

Based on your name I think you may live in South Carolina. Monday was between 85-90 degrees depending on your specific location, which may not seem that hot- but with no water or shade, it is. I used to live in NC and my 10 birds on 90 degree days would completely empty a waterer that size. You have a lot more birds and I don't see any shade. The waterer is completely dry, not even a drop in it, and dusty and most of the birds are dead in a circle around it (suggesting they died in that area because they were looking for water). I would venture your birds died of heat exhaustion. It may have been compiled with or expedited with them running from a threat (real or perceived such as a dog or a circling hawk) which would run them down that much quicker.

I agree with all the above users. It looks like they all dehydrated/overheated and died. If you zoom in you can even see one with it's beak in the dry water dish.

It looks like the water never got filled, or evaporated from the heat.

Wow. So sorry for your loss! What area do you live in? Is it really hot where you are? We live in Florida and have had cornish X die from heat like this. Do they have water at all times? It's hard to keep waterers filled for that many birds at once. I use a big round bowl thing and I actually freeze a milk jug filled with water and I put the ice filled milk jug in their water so it keeps it cool for longer. They drink alot especially if it's hot! I hope you figure this out! My best guess is heat stroke, bad feed or lack of water. You may need to add a few more containers of water for them. Maybe also try moving them in the shade or making them some kind of cover for the top. Keep us updated. Keep a close eye on the survivors.

Back
Top Bottom