48 chicks in 2 weeks

wilkey44

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 14, 2010
Central Oklahoma
In march I bought 5 chicks from Orschelns and a week later I bought 11 chicks from Atwoods. Before I bought the chicks at Atwoods I had been at lowes and bought the wood for an incubator I had designed in my head and after it was built I checked the temp to see if it would hold temp and then it sat until the 26th October and I put in 16 eggs and and on the 16th of November had 13 of 16 then on thanks giving day had 6 of 7 then a last big hatch of 31 of 40 (2 didn't make it past the first day (I will leave it at that)) and now waiting on 6 eggs (day 19) and while this was going on I built an 480 egg incubator (this would be the what was I thinking point) so now I have a whole bunch of chicks now I have to build coops for them when I take them out in the spring...

You've learned the finer points of chicken math... the hard way!

you could always sell a few before it's time to put them in a coop.
wink.png

What ta heck were you thinking with that bator
idunno.gif
you should have saved you some effort and built 2 at the same time while you were into the building stage
lau.gif
that one isn't going to be enough.
Chicken math our 6 laying chicks for breakfast use only well 4 were roos my kids picked well has turned into a full time 200-400 birds and hundreds hatched and living in new homes or dinner.
My husband is just finishing another new house 8x16 complete with foundation for my birdies-will have 4 breeding pens with runs.. then I have a request in for another that size for my bantam house.After all of that I want a brooder house complete with heat figure it would be cheaper than heat lamps running.I married a builder so getting my work done takes a long time though
barnie.gif

not bad for 6 laying hens

70 chicks at a skimpy 4 sq ft per bird is 280 sq ft. 16 x 16 = 256 sq ft; 16 x 20 = 320 sq ft, just doing math based on standard lumber measurements. Ouch.

I hope you have a barn at your disposal.

I would go with no less than 300 sqare feet coop with a 750 square foot run. That is the minumum space you need for 75 birds. That is if you do not add any more to you flock.

Depending on location they may not need as much space..my birds for instance free range from sun up to sun down outside 365 days a year..even in the May flood they had outside access...many chose not to be ducks though
he.gif
They do fine with less sleeping space since they are only sleeping inside.The 4' rule is for birds that spend most if not all the time inside not for free rangers.Most important is ventilation especially if your using a smaller area.
BTW my 8x16x8 with a 10 pitch roof with a foundation under and full drainage system around it (we own a hill) and 4 working windows cost us $200 to build...resourcefully recycled
big_smile.png

Ahh my husband is a builder...all framing materials came from tearing out a store's walls...truck loads of 2x4's free and they paid us to do it
big_smile.png
windows came out of a remodel job that we didn't even remodel-still have a huge pile of them left as well.Siding and roof is from an old shed..not great condition but it will work for a few years at least.It's housewrapped as well with electric in every pen for lights and fans.
I paid for the concrete and railroad ties...it has a skid base bottom so it can be unbolted from the foundation and moved making it non property taxable since it's a portable building.Then I had to pay for the drainage pipe and hinges for the interior doors...2 exterior doors then inside will be able to walk from pen to pen.
This is going to be mainly for my laying flock that free ranges but will have fenced runs for each pen so when I need an extra breeding pen or chick pen I will have it ready...will have to spend some money to buy more wire when we get to that point.
I will tell you that there are more houses being remodeled than built right now...ask a contractor if you can haul off their junk as long as it looks like a decent house to start with.Offer to tear down a deck for the wood.Get resourceful and work with what you have.Your coop may not be pretty but remember one thing
Chickens are like bachelors they don't care what their house looks like as long as there is a place to sleep and do their business..it's women that come in and want to pretty it all up.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom