4H Hatching Worries - day 18 after some temp issues

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wjmccoy, Mar 1, 2008.

1. wjmccoy

wjmccoy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2008
    On day 14 when we received our eggs for the 4H project, I had trouble getting the temp right. It was 104 or 105 when I came home after thinking it was set right (should be set at 102 or 103), so I don't know how long it was there. Also, while trying to get it right and taking a phone call, it got up to 107 briefly before I realized I was turning the thermostat the wrong way (maybe just a minute to 5 minutes--not sure). After having the temp right since, day 18 today, I've worried about the chicks. I've tried candling and since they are brown eggs, I can only make out the air cell and the rest just looks dark. Some are lighter feeling than others. Any ideas on how to put my fears to rest? I'm having dreams about these little guys not making it and the maternity insticts to protect them have really kicked in!
    I guess in the next few days I'll either hear pips or not!

Also, is it possible to determine breed by egg color/size/specking? I was told that they were either Cornish or an assortment. It looks like an assortment (big/small/speckled/light brown/dark brown). I was going to take them to a Cornish farm, but if they are not, I need to make other plans, which shouldn't be an issue--I'd just like to be prepared. We have an assortment of chicks on order after these are delivered, but we may keep some.

Thanks,
    Jenny

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    107 for five minutes would not effect the internal temperature of the egg. Air temps can swing all the time but as long as the internal egg temperature remains relatively constant there are no worries.

If you can post some pictures we may be able to figure out what eggs are likely what.

Brown eggs can be hard to candle.

3. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I you have a good aircell, don't worry too much right now. I've had a lot of problems with this batch, and still getting at least 10 hatching out of 30. I know that doesn't sound too good, but considering the bulb went out in my bator when I had the flu, and the eggs were at room temp for who knows how long. Plus had temp spikes to 105 a few times. So just be patient, I know it's hard. Good luck. Also, give them extra time, I had one just pip, and I thought they were finished.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by