4h turkeys with chickens?

Urban Chaos

Songster
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
Austin
Hey all, my son wants to raise a turkey for 4h. We only have a chicken coop - and can not add another seperate coop/run. So 1) can they (chickens and turkeys) live together? if yes, what kind of modifications would I need ?

2) I could re-do the end of the run with a turkey house and add a barrier (or not) in the middle.

Thoughts?

Quote:
My daughter showed 4H chickens and turkeys last month at our county fair. We keep them togther in the same coop at night and let them free range during the day.

We are planning on building a seperate hoop coop/run for the turkeys this fall.

Hope this helps:D

Delaney Birds

Check the rules. Here in NJ, the state has to bleed the turkey before it can be showed. There has been an issue before with a false positive and all birds were to be destroyed. Now our county won't allow turkey at the fair because the state does not have to be brought in. The chickens only need pullorum testing and that can be done by any certified person.

Quote:
Here in Indiana at our county fair, they only checked the chickens for pullorum, not the turkeys or the guineas we also showed.

Quote:
Here in Indiana at our county fair, they only checked the chickens for pullorum, not the turkeys or the guineas we also showed.

That's great! I get so tired of state interference. Waterfowl do not have to be checked for pullorum, we do need to check the guineas if they live with chickens.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom