4x8 inc. run - designed to fit in truck bed for delivery!

CluckTwice4Yes

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2016
Maine
My dad and I built this for my first backyard flock.

My dad and I built this for my first backyard flock.

Neat!! Could you please post some more detailed pics if you have them? I'm keeping chickens with an eye towards moving within the next few years. Built our first coop to fit out the backyard gate and on a trailer but chicken math is making me itchy.
1f600.png
Would like to build a coop about this size and attach to existing so we can also break down and move with us if needed.

And, the most important question, how exactly did you get it in the truck bed?!?

Put the truck in low gear, slowly dragged the coop up the hill with ropes, untied it. Drove the truck down a gentle embankment so the tailgate was almost level with the ground. 3 adults dragged the coop into place, lifted the top edge onto the tailgate, then one guy got into the truck and pushed down while the other two pushed up on the back - and dragged it up onto four blocks already in position. Dad was the real brains of the operation (don't tell him, there'd be no living with him- haha). The tailgate just barely made it closed, not an inch to spare!

Took 4 sheets of plywood, probably 10 2x4s plus scrap wood, not too much chicken wire (have plenty to spare off a full roll for future repairs), almost a whole box of deck screws and a smaller box of short screws. It's a little on the heavy side, not designed to be moved frequently - 3 or 4 adults works well, or possibly small farm tractor.

Here's one of the inside:

Good question - I'd say about $120 in plywood, 2x4s, a good tarp, and deck screws. I used paint we had around (between 2 families, there was plenty leftover from past projects). You might want to budget $30 or so extra if you don't have scrap wood, shorter screws, etc. laying around.

For the grand finale, we managed to unload the thing and find a suitable place for it without scraping up the truck, the coop, or ourselves (much :))

Back
Top Bottom