5-6 month old Buff Orpington Petaluma,CA

sk2853

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2015
Petaluma, CA
So it seems as I made a mistake on this listing. I will chalk it up to being new and will continue to be grateful for the advise and knowledge from members on this site. But just to keep it real, this was a post I made to get rid of what I thought was a cockerel... I will come back and visit it before I make a post without doing solid research on the subject. :) If this thread needs to be removed please let me know. It could just serve as a source of humor...

Last edited:
really! That would be great. From what I could tell from all of the pictures of people requesting an ID of their buff.... the ones with the combs were all labeled as cockerels. I will have to chalk this up to being a newbie.

It's all about how early the comb turns red. If this were a 10 week old bird, then yes, cockerel. But, since it's over 5 months old, with no trace of male specific feathering, it's a pullet nearing maturity.

I just added a photo of both of our Buff's.. same age, bought at same store, same day. One has a the pronounced red comb and the other does not. That is why I was thinking she was a he. I am grateful for your input, a little embarrassed that I listed a hen as a rooster.... Now I have to explain this all to the bird... lol.

It's absolutely ok. I also am new, and I listed my two Black Sex Link hens as roosters too... Whoops!

I also would have thought my Buff Orphington was a rooster, except for the fact that I got a rooster along with it. Seeing how much different they looked, I could tell that it wasn't a rooster!

We all make mistakes!

Yup! I have made the same mistake too. Large combs don't automatically mean rooster. You can usually tell from the body size compared to a hen, and the comb will sometimes grow a lot faster in some breeds if it's a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom