5-6 week old chicks ran away , lost in woods

On related note, we can help you make sure your coop and run are predator proof, if you have any questions. Because if your chicks can get out, small predators can likely get in.
Yes we were super proud and going to add on the roof siding and run extension this weekend but my pyranese took the wall of the thickest chicken wire we could find next to the door out, would you recommend boarding this or switching wire

Attachments

• F50E8512-5446-4BFE-8C67-9465FF98E647.jpeg
    F50E8512-5446-4BFE-8C67-9465FF98E647.jpeg
    920.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Definitely switch out the chicken wire for 1/2" hardware cloth asap. Chicken wire has resulted in many tragedies, because people didn't know that chicken wire was originally used to keep chickens out of gardens, but Many predators can easily rip or chew through chicken wire. Chicken wire will keep raptors out, but that's about it.

This is what you want to use: (Why it's called "cloth" idk, because it is a strong wire mesh.)
1690336233281.png

If you look on the coop and run forum, you will see lots of info about using hardware cloth and avoiding chicken wire.
After todays incident we will be switching tommorow , thank y’all for the advice at least we can reinforce with the mesh over the wire on both sides because , though she will not eat chickens she harasses them all day. I thought we had a understanding we clearly didn’t. On the other hand my Anatolian is very protective of them and he used to be the mass destroyer - more training asap . She’s done so good up until today. Thank y’all. If anyone’s got runners we caught the first 6 using a swimming pool net in the woods . Light (bright) and chirping noises and maybe nature brought the last ones back. And some luck. We’ve been out there since noon, and we’re both torn up and relived. My bigger chickens are so happy. My husband and I sat out there with treats in our hands before locking them up so in the future they don’t run from us . So many mistakes . All avoidable thank y’all for being so kind
C77C5D4F-54B4-4D39-85F8-FA865FBF99E6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom