5 and a half month old pullet acting weird

Eggcited farmer

Hatching
Sep 26, 2022
I have a Easter egger pullet laying down and sleeping and her tail is drooping. Not sure what this means, is there something wrong? She is 22 weeks old and hasn’t started laying yet and she is eating and drinking but still not acting like she normally does. Many of my other chickens have had this happen with the same symptoms and they didn’t make it. I wormed all of my chickens but it’s happening again. Now I’m not sure what to do.

First of all I would check her for egg binding by inserting a clean finger into her vent 2 inches to feel for an egg. Check her skin under her feathers under her belly and elsewhere for lice or mites. Is her comb bright red or pale? Feel of her crop now and again in early morning before she eats or drinks and tell us if it is empty, full, firm, or puffy soft. Offer some water from a small cup or bowl, and electrolytes would be good. Mix a little chicken feed with a lot of water to make a mash, and offer that with some chopped scrambled egg. Take her aside, and observe her closely for the next day or two. A dog crate with food and water would be good for that, and you can keep her near the others for company.

I checked if she was egg bound but I didn’t find anything and she doesn’t have any mites. Her comb is kind of pale but it’s pretty much always like that. Her crop was also empty and I couldn’t get her to eat anything. I guess I’ll wait a couple days and see if she is looking better.

Offer scrambled egg, wet feed, canned tuna, or anything that she will take. If her crop is empty, she is sick. Offer fluids often.

Sorry I haven’t updated you I’ve been so busy. She is doing much better and she is eating and drinking regularly. Thanks so much for the help!

Back
Top Bottom