5 CornishX I butchered Monday! (pics of finished product)

stanglover2001

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
So here is what I learned very fast... CornishX have very easily torn skin, this first photo shows 2 skinned Cornishes, 1st reason: when we were plucking with the plucker we tore the skin, and when I started on the second one by hand I tore the skin
he.gif
So we decided these would be skinless and we'd keep them in the fridge for dinner on a different day.
55886_skinned.jpg

Here's the bag of the 2 chicken's pieces: btw that's a gallon sized bag!
55886_pieces.jpg

Here's the other 2, that we used the plucker but barely then hand plucked gently
smile.png
I think they turned out nice! I forgot to get the 5th one but it looked just like these.
55886_nonskinned.jpg

I don't know why but every single one we killed (didn't do the cone killing) broke their wing!!!!
barnie.gif
We havn't gotten the price its cost us but we'll figure it up sometime, I don't think we'll be saleing any. But so far besides food, all we bought was the chicks, a feeder, a bowl, tarp, and the corners for 1" pvc pipe. The pvc pipe we had found on the side of the road near my moms house, and the poultry netting we already had to build our coop run. Well someone who moved away next to my moms lost it out of his truck while turning out of the neighborhood, figured I'd say something before someone thinks I'm stealing construction stuff!

The skinned ones were:
6lb 6.3oz live 3lb 12.1oz processed
6lb 0.9oz live 3lb 10.3oz processed.

The unskinned were:
6lb 4.2oz live 4lb 2.7oz processed
5lb 12.9oz live 3lb 10.4oz processed
6lb 8.3oz live 4lb 3.6oz processed

ETA: we still have 17 more broilers
ep.gif
and 11 DP roo's who are 17 weeks old!

Last edited:
Quote:
Well it's past dinner time here! But sure come on over we'll get the grill going
wink.png
you can help with the other 17!

Yeah, I decided the next batch I do I am using kill cones. I can't swing a hatchet at a struggling bird and not risk taking off my own hand in the process. Killing cones it is.

Nice work. They look good.

I would have used mine but the woods hadn't been mowed around and the tree its hanging on is back there, I would prefer to be tickless. If it were cooler out I'd be able to put some fencing out and put my neighbors goats out there to mow it down (can't use lawn mower, there's all sorts of things including rocks that I don't want to hit and my father-in-law has refused to bushhog it because of the junk up there). So looks like I need to hang a new milk jug
tongue.png

from my experience the skin tears easily when the scald is too hot. Get a good thermometer and keep a close eye on it. A good scald is key

We hadn't raised chickens for about 15 years, and then we started again. We recently butchered 65 cornish cross. We had the wings breaking also. We carefully checked and realized it was happening after we chopped their heads off and they were flapping around. We started doing like we had always done - hanging them in midair to flap until they stopped. We always did it that way so the meat wouldn't get bruised. We had never had wings break before, so why these did I do not know. We started holding them down to the ground and holding their wings down and then the wings didn't break. We have a few more we are going to butcher later, and I'm going to rig up a cone.

We butchered ours at 7 weeks. The cockerels dressed out at an average of 6#, and the pullets about 5.25#.

Back
Top Bottom