5 Day old chick fine then 1.5hours later found laying face down in dirt

Coco_lafonte

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2022
Hi! I’m new to having baby chicks. My 2 favorelles went broody. The first one to go broody I put 4 fertilized eggs under, the second one went broody 18 days in. 3 out of 4 eggs hatched. The hens are co-mothering. So.. Yesterday, Saturday 6/17/23 The chicks were in the enclosed run with both moms, all 3 chicks were fine.. about 1.5 hours later one of the chicks was laying face down on the ground. I thought it was dead! It jumped up started running, the mom (1st hen Henrietta who went broody) started pecking pretty hard at the chick! I picked up the chick brought it in washed it up, the eyes were closed and wasn’t looking well! Not sure what to do, or how to help the chick, the chick today looked a little better, but just kept chirping. The two non broody hens (barred rocks) went after the chick tonight in the coop! Thank you for all the advice in advance 70871190819__BF16A02B-0141-4E72-ACB8-B7ED2E68B0CB.jpeg Right after I found him/her. (Before the bath)
IMG_3870.jpeg
After the bath IMG_3878.jpeg After the bath IMG_3883.jpeg IMG_3899.png Today

Last edited:
Clean her wounds and eye with saline (open the eye and flush out any dirt/debris) then apply Original Neosporin or Terramycin eye ointment into the eye and on the facial wounds.

Work on getting the chick hydrated. If you have Poultry Nutri-Drench give her 2-3 drops twice a day. If not, then electrolytes or a few drops of sugar water periodically along with fresh water.
Once hydrated, offer some wet chick starter.
Keep the chick warm. Likely you will need to brood this one for several days on your own and it may prove difficult to integrate her back with the others.

Sometimes Co-Brooding doesn't always work out very well especially if they are all enclosed with the main flock too. Broodies can get excited, non-broodies can too - chicks get trampled, pecked, hurt or killed.

Hi! I’m new to having baby chicks. My 2 favorelles went broody. The first one to go broody I put 4 fertilized eggs under, the second one went broody 18 days in. 3 out of 4 eggs hatched. The hens are co-mothering. So.. Yesterday, Saturday 6/17/23 The chicks were in the enclosed run with both moms, all 3 chicks were fine.. about 1.5 hours later one of the chicks was laying face down on the ground. I thought it was dead! It jumped up started running, the mom (1st hen Henrietta who went broody) started pecking pretty hard at the chick! I picked up the chick brought it in washed it up, the eyes were closed and wasn’t looking well! Not sure what to do, or how to help the chick, the chick today looked a little better, but just kept chirping. The two non broody hens (barred rocks) went after the chick tonight in the coop! Thank you for all the advice in advance

Clean her wounds and eye with saline (open the eye and flush out any dirt/debris) then apply Original Neosporin or Terramycin eye ointment into the eye and on the facial wounds.

Work on getting the chick hydrated. If you have Poultry Nutri-Drench give her 2-3 drops twice a day. If not, then electrolytes or a few drops of sugar water periodically along with fresh water.
Once hydrated, offer some wet chick starter.
Keep the chick warm. Likely you will need to brood this one for several days on your own and it may prove difficult to integrate her back with the others.

Sometimes Co-Brooding doesn't always work out very well especially if they are all enclosed with the main flock too. Broodies can get excited, non-broodies can too - chicks get trampled, pecked, hurt or killed.
Thank you for your reply!! I did give her electrolytes with vitamins yesterday in a syringe.. for the ointment is Terramycin
the same one that humans get an RX for and use for their eyes?
thank you again 💖

Thank you for your reply!! I did give her electrolytes with vitamins yesterday in a syringe.. for the ointment is Terramycin
the same one that humans get an RX for and use for their eyes?
thank you again 💖
You can find Terramycin eye ointment at feed stores like TSC or online through Amazon, etc.

But...if you have an RX on hand for humans, it would very likely work just fine:)

1687146971264.png

You can find Terramycin eye ointment at feed stores like TSC or online through Amazon, etc.

But...if you have an RX on hand for humans, it would very likely work just fine:)
Oh perfect! I actually might… oh so for the nutri drench. Are the drops straight up or mixed with water??

Has she been eating/drinking really well?

The right side is the crop, it will be more noticeable when the feathers/down is wet.
See if that mass goes down after she eats/poops and has slept for while.

Just to be sure here - is she breathing o.k.? No clicking when breathing.

The right side is the crop, it will be more noticeable when the feathers/down is wet.

She is doing so much better!! Like a brand new chick!! She is hanging out with her siblings and the mama, she’s eating and drinking on her own.. I will attach a picture in a few for you! Thank you for all your help 💖💖💖

IMG_3929.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom