5 day old Duckling Has Splay Leg. Can it be treated when he is bigger?

Scovyfive

Chirping
Sep 19, 2020
So one of my littles (Little 2) was stepped on by my 8 year old son and now walks with one leg splayed out. I tried a band-aid hobble, but it will not work for this little guy. He is in our run with mom and our other 5 ducklings and the run has a lot of taller grasses and weeds. Some areas are a bit more open, but he is not able to amble through much of the run with his leg movement restricted. Right now he is getting everywhere he needs to go okay, but does tend to sit a lot more than the others.
I'm wondering, if I wait to treat it until he is tall enough that he has more mobility, will it be treatable?
My other option would be to bring him in and care for him alone, but that would break my heart to separate him from mama and the flock (she only has one other duckling, and the two of them are pretty bonded already). And then I would worry that he would not integrate well if I took him back out a couple weeks later.
This little one is my absolute favorite, such a sweetie!
Any thoughts?
20210804_062949.jpg

I agree with @Miss Lydia that the sooner you intervene the better chance of a positive outcome. Since the duck was injured and didn't just develop splay leg due to a deficiency, I would want to make sure it wasn't broken first? My duckling developed splay leg around 2-3 weeks and I think it was not enough niacin. I gently pulled the legs into proper position and used vet wrap to secure them there. I gave liquid vitamin B complex to help strengthen the legs, and this might help you too. I left the hobbles on for several weeks, changing now and then. I let my duckling swim in the tub a couple times a day to strengthen legs and initially helped support her for a few minutes a few times a day when she was standing to help the muscles strengthen. My ducks were still inside in a brooder, so that was easy for me. I think for his best outcome you need to bring this duckling inside, or at least a small contained space outside that is flat with even, ground. You could bring him inside with one of the ducklings from the other mother (you mentioned you had 5) so his mother can still have the one baby, or you could contain this one with his mom and sibling in a small space while he heals, which is probably the option I would go for just to not split them up. Since he's so tiny he will be just fine hanging out in a very space with mom.

Thank you for all the helpful responses! I will have to think this thing through and what is going to be best for the flock as a whole. It's amazing how many little interpersonal dynamics there are in a flock and how one little change can affect them all.
One other question.
If I hobble him and keep him indoors most of the day, but give him a couple hours out with mom (unhobbled) and let him sleep with mom at night, will he make progress, or will the time unhobbled keep him from progressing?

I completely understand all the interpersonal dynamics of ducks - I have that going on as well :)

I would never keep him inside alone, that would be too sad. If you put him out with his mom at night, just leave the hobbles on. They can still get around with them, and I don't see how it would hurt to leave them. If he's injured you just don't want him stressing trying to keep up with his mom or busy siblings - best to let him heal. Maybe you could bring him in with a buddy during the day, and put him with mom and sibling at night in a small enclosure?

I hope you're able to find a good solution and that he heals up quick!

Everyone's advice here is good, but I just wanted to add that if his leg is broken a hobble/normal splay leg set up may cause him immense pain.

I would take him to an avian vet or farm vet first and find out if the leg is broken. He may need an actual cast over a hobble. Being stepped on (even by just a child) is enough to break a lot of bones in such a tiny duck.

Hope your little one gets better soon!

I completely understand all the interpersonal dynamics of ducks - I have that going on as well :)

I would never keep him inside alone, that would be too sad. If you put him out with his mom at night, just leave the hobbles on. They can still get around with them, and I don't see how it would hurt to leave them. If he's injured you just don't want him stressing trying to keep up with his mom or busy siblings - best to let him heal. Maybe you could bring him in with a buddy during the day, and put him with mom and sibling at night in a small enclosure?

I hope you're able to find a good solution and that he heals up quick!
That sounds good! I will see if I can work that out today.
I'm already very bonded with little 2 he snuggles right in 🥰
20210804_063151.jpg

Everyone's advice here is good, but I just wanted to add that if his leg is broken a hobble/normal splay leg set up may cause him immense pain.

I would take him to an avian vet or farm vet first and find out if the leg is broken. He may need an actual cast over a hobble. Being stepped on (even by just a child) is enough to break a lot of bones in such a tiny duck.

Hope your little one gets better soon!
I think I will have to take my chances, a vet is out of the question unfortunately. Little 2 does not seem to be in pain, and when I feel around the leg he does not react. I know a broken bone could be hiding, but nothing looks different from the other leg.
I hope so too, thank you 😊

I wonder how it would work to wrap the leg in question with some vet wrap to act as a little cast before using the wrap to make a hobble? Just in case.... I have no expertise in this department.

Back
Top Bottom