5 day old duckling with a broken leg

Paganrose

Songster
9 Years
May 23, 2010
Albany,, Wisconsin
Yesterday I notices one of my baby ducks hoppin and often getting left behind by momma duck. Today I discovered that it's one leg is completely broken about an inch above the ankle joint. The break is so close to knee joint that it would be impossible to make a splint for it, plus I dont think I could line up the tiny bones for it to heal right, nor do I know how long it has been broken. The bone seams splintered and sharp. The duck does not make any noise or squirm when I mess with the broken leg. I am wondering if I should try and take the broken leg off, since it seams to be more of a hinderance than a help. Has anyone done this before??

Yesterday I notices one of my baby ducks hoppin and often getting left behind by momma duck. Today I discovered that it's one leg is completely broken about an inch above the ankle joint. The break is so close to knee joint that it would be impossible to make a splint for it, plus I dont think I could line up the tiny bones for it to heal right, nor do I know how long it has been broken. The bone seams splintered and sharp. The duck does not make any noise or squirm when I mess with the broken leg. I am wondering if I should try and take the broken leg off, since it seams to be more of a hinderance than a help. Has anyone done this before??

I think you are looking at alot of bleeding if you try this yourself. Please take it to a vet either for fixing or to put it down. It would have to be in pain. Sorry just can't imagine doing something like that myself.

A vet is out of the question, and now the ducky is starting to get lethargic. So I will end up having to put it down.
Probably the best thing at this point, so sorry.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom