5 days incubated & EXPLODED!! PEEEWWW!!

crazy chook

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
Langwarrin, Victoria
I have just purchased a new incubator 'the RCOM50'

I put eggs in it on the 8th and was going to candle tonight. BUT woke up this morning to the most incredibly awful stench through out the whole house! One of the eggs had exploded.....YUK!!
somad.gif

There are another 49 eggs in there and its only day 5. Are they going to survive??
Has any one else had this problem only 5 or so day into incubation and did all the other eggs survive or do they die?
hit.gif

Please any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers

This can happen if it was an old egg... I'm afraid since you are soo early in your incubation, I would attempt to clean off the eggs.. Right now inside of your bator, bacteria are growing inside the bator as well as on the outside of the eggs. I had a situation where my chicks hatched early and didn't use up all of the humidity in the egg. What happens is it gets in your water and will quickly start growing.

Requires 2 people.

What you can do is prep you a mixing bowl of really warm water, through you a couple of towels in the dryer and get it good and warm. Make a solution of 10:1 water/bleach and put it in a spray bottle.

EGGS -- Take your eggs and with a washcloth carefully, yet quickly go over each egg with warm water.. I would make it about 105 110 degrees at least so it is warmer than the eggs. This will allow the water to clean but not get in the pours. Gently place the eggs in the warm towels. Do this to all of the eggs.

Incubator -- Unplug the bator. While your cleaning the eggs, have a buddy take out the water pan and spray out the inside of the bator with the 10:1 solution Try your best to remove all of the residual egg. Clean the water pan really well yet quickly with soap and water and spray down with the 10:1 solution. Take a hair dryer and blow out you bator to evaporate the 10:1 solution. Plug the incubator re-assemble the bator and plug it in. Refill the water tray and replace your eggs. You will have to monitor the bator for a couple of hours due to the amount of moisture on the eggs and inside of the bator.

Of course I'm assuming that you are using a styro-foam bator.

That is what I would do, but that is just me.

I have cleaned the unit, it is an RCOM50. Mostly plastic and easy to clean.
I have wiped over the other two eggs affected, it was mostly on the incubator itself.
i will candle tonight and see what happens.

I hand turn my eggs and I found 2 eggs on days 2 and 4 with eggs with a crack in them and they had leaked some but dried up before I saw the crack in them so I pulled them out right away.

I hope your eggs will still hatch for you

I am sure the egg was not old, It would have had a hairline crack that I missed when setting them.

I know the smell is fading as I am not retching every time I go near the incubator, the rest of the house does not smell anymore.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom