5 dead 3 limping

dgraves

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
Rocky Mount, NC
I went out to feed today and found 5 dead and 3 limping around. Anyone have any idea what might have attacked? I read the sticky with no luck. Chickens were whole and appeared unhurt. no blood, and no feathers out of place. I have one silkie that wont even get up to walk, 1 EE roo that is limping, and one bantam thats moving slowly. I live in NC if that helps anyone narrow down the predator list. Thanks for any help or comments.

How do you know if it was a predator or if it was illness? I'm asking honestly because I don't know, I'm not pointing fingers. I guess illness would be unlikely as it was over night, but I don't know what would do that. I hope your other 3 will be okay.
hugs.gif

DOG(S)??? A dog will kill just to kill and not eat.

Were the chickens in a coop or pen?

So sorry for your losses.
hugs.gif
Hope you wait up tonight and see what did it. Whatever it is will be back to finish off the rest.

all 5 were in the coop. the coop is a 12 by 12 and the only way in is through a doggy door opening in the door. whatever it was would have had to get into the fenced in yard that surrounds the coop. the fence is 6 foot high and has a chain link roof over it as well. there is an opening in the fence roof thats about 6 foot by 6 foot, but other than that there is no way in. there were no tracks that I could find, but it's been raining here. I still have about 10 others, but it sucks to lose that many overnight. I think one of the other 3 isnt going to make it either.

Awwwwwww...so sorry the other two didn't make it.
hit.gif

A racoon can climb a 6' fence with no problem but would have bitten heads off and left a gorey mess. Still sounds like a dog of some kind...don't know of any other predator that would not eat when they kill.

Maybe put a hot wire around the pen so you don't lose anymore??

I'm SO SORRY:( Dogs recently killed my rooster and he was in a pen so I DON'T EVEN KNOW ANYMORE!

it's not dogs. there is no way for a dog to get into the pen. not to mention I raise Akita's and they are next to the chicken yard. If another dog comes into my yard the akitas would pick a fight. The opening for the chickens to go into the house is too small for my akitas to fit through and every chicken was found dead in the house. I have had a few chickens get out in the past, and when my dogs get ahold of them its a huge mess, feathers everywhere. In this case the chickens are not missing any feathers and I can find no injuries. I have no clue what this could be, other than a coon or something, but there are no injuries I can find.

edit: forgot to mention. the fence is a 6 foot chainlink with 6 foot privacy panels against the outside of that and 3 foot high chicken wire on the inside of the chainlink. so it's 3 types of fencing all sandwiched together. you cant even see the chickens unless you go through the gate.

Last edited:
It could even be a rat or a weasel. My friend had chickens and a weasel got in and killed all of the birds.

Back
Top Bottom