5 Gal Bucket Handle Question

seattlehens83

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 11, 2011
Seattle
So I'm going to make a 5 gallon bucket water system with water cups. Is everyone just using the standard ~1/4" diameter handle on the bucket as a hanger or are you using something different thats a little stronger. I'll have this hung in the coop so I definetely dont want the bucket to fall down due to failure of the handle.

Ideas? or is the handle ok as is???

Mine has been good for 3 months as it with no bending or warping like others have mentioned. I only fill it half way to 2.5 gals and never more-which decreases weight and water pressure behind the nipple waterers or cups.

We keep ours topped off 24 - 7 and besides the deformation it is just fine. But if it did fail, them darn birds are wicked fast, I doubt they would get much more than wet. The handles are rated for carrying capacity as a standard though. IIRC it's 100 pounds, but don't quote me.

i hung mune from the handle and about 3 or 4 mo later its pulling out of the sides and needs replaced so i cut a piece of plywood at 11.5 diameter so i can support the bucket by the rib on the side instead

I must admit I cheat. I rigged up a pump and hose to fill it so ours never really moves. Just every couple weeks to clean it, and it is empty when we do that. That may have something to do with why ours has been trouble free.

I'm using two lengths of chain -- one attached to each side of the plastic handle on the metal bail -- and hanging from eyebolts in the coop rafters. So far, no issues. I considered wrapping a length of chain around the bucket that was smaller than the top to distribute the weight evenly but I thought I'd try simply using the handle first.

standard answer - if you are already thiking about it, you should be doing it! Alot of the most awful accidets happen on a farm....
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom