5-gallon buckets for nests

From what I have read....it sounds like you just fill the bucket to the top with shavings and mount it up off the ground a bit and they hop in and lay. I was thinking of making a shelf to secure the buckets to and making some kind of perch in front of the shelf somehow. If the buckets were on their side for the chicks to crawl into wouldn't that be a tight squeeze??
D.gif

A picture is worth a thousand words. I had just put this bucket in the coop about 5 minutes before. I am not sure how a standard hen would do with these. I have three broodies in them now and it seems tight to me. This girl is a bantam Sizzle. The problem with leaving the upright is that when the birds hop in them, they can break any eggs that may already be in there. Also if using them for hatching the babies can get squashed.

BabySizzlesJuly06003.jpg

Last edited:
I just drilled holes on the side of the bucket and in the piece of plywood. I attached the wire to one side and ran the wire around the bottom of the bucket and hooked the other side. Nothing very sophisticated but it works. You know me, I don't have lots of skill but I can usually make something that works and I know the chickens don't give a holler.

I hear you. That is the way things run on our "farm" too. All sorts of "make-shift what-ch-ma-call-its" As long as it works that is what matters. Jaynie, I took new pics and will try to get them to you this weekend sometime. The chicks are all really growing.

Marie

If you are building, then why not use left over 2x4's, plywood, etc. to build stationary nest boxes. Or if you have some old wood laying around make it useful. I did one this winter with scrap wood. My hubby burned the scrap piles from the old corrals and what not so I don't have them to refer back to anymore, but I did salvage some before he got fire happy. Good luck! I also thought if you cut the bucket at an angle then divided it that might work for you also. Have fun building.

What about a plastic storage container on its side?
images

If it is wide, can several birds go in there even though there would be no wall divider to separate it into sections?
I always wonder, what is the point of the lip. Is it to keep the eggs from rolling out?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom